black powder pistol regestration

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by COMETHILL, Nov 3, 2006.

1. COMETHILL

COMETHILL New Member

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum.On Tuesday Oct.31 i brought my Pietta 1858 REmmimgton 44 to be repaired at Gander mountain in Binghamton N.Y. To my surprise the gunsmith asked for my gun permit so he could do the job. Now please will someone explain to me why he told me i was breaking the law and risking arrest by not having my B.P PISTOLS NOT REGESTERED? I live on a farm in upstate N.Y. I purchase these guns w/o a permit! I purchase the ammo,the powder and everything else w/o a permit. So why does he tell me that once fired it now becomes illegal. I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this subject.
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Now it SHOULDN'T matter since you don't need a permit to buy or own one, shooting one shouldn't matter....

But then remember it IS New York, and there probably ARE "State and local" laws about it....hell, there was for just about EVERYTHING else when I lived there, which is ONE of the reasons I no longer do....and am HAPPY as heck I no longer live "behind the Looking Glass" but actually raised my family in a "State of Sanity."

But then again, there is just enough chance the Gunsmith at Cabela's didnf't know what he was talking about either.....
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Comet
    I think Polish hit it on the head
  4. Kenneth

Kenneth New Member

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

look here , I didn't see any such laws , but you never know as they change like the weather , if you're really concerned , you should probally contact N.Y. State Police , and ask about laws concerning black powder pistols , I would only ask about laws concerning them , it is possible that if you state you are in possession , and there does turn out to be such a law , you might get an unwelcomed visit from them . just my two cents , Kenneth
  5. COMETHILL

COMETHILL New Member

You know Ken i was so discusted with that whole cituation that i put in for a pistol permit. This way they have nothing on me. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  6. polishshooter

I'm leaning more and more that the Gander Mountain guy was blowing smoke out his nose....

I mean, COME ON, it's LEGAL until you FIRE IT????? Well, then again, you can own a CAR without a license I guess until you DRIVE it....but AHA! Only on a ROAD, so even THAT doesn't work...:p

Even the ACLU or Ruth Bader Ginsberg couldn't bend over backwards THAT far to make a connection....
  7. Actually, Polish, he may not be.

This is a quote from the New York state laws regarding weapons such as yours, Comet, taken from the site I linked below:

"Antiques and Replicas:

Antique rifles, shotguns and handguns, and replicas thereof, generally are exempt from the above restrictions and can be bought and possessed without a permit. (Persons who shoot muzzle loading handguns must be properly licensed.) Antique handguns must be unloaded and possessed without the materials to load same." [italics and bold added]

http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2006
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Sure glad I moved from there! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  9. COMETHILL

COMETHILL New Member

Thanks alot for the information guys. It really helped alot. I really love any thing about the old west. I'M gona get a permit cause i want to get into cowboy mounted shooting which involves using old west type weapons. As far as my B.P. GUNS I'LL just keep them quiet for now.
  10. polishshooter

WOW.

All I can say is WOW.:cool:

What else IS there to say....besides asking why isn't EVERYONE that owns or wants to own a gun running away from New York as fast as their legs can carry them??????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  11. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

:mad: WHY AREN'T THEY VOTING OUT THE LIKES OF PEOPLE LIKE CHUCKIE SCHUMER :( and take the state back from the city--JMJ--
  12. polishshooter

Yeah, that's what it was like when I lived there, I lived in the south of Buffalo in the dairy farm country, generally surrounded by Republicans, and Good old-fashioned Harry Truman Democrats who owned more guns and hunted more than WE did....and where the politics was decidedly CONSERVATIVE...my very first proud vote was for my Congressman Jack Kemp...and the local Justice of the Peace, (REALLY a Democrat) was an ex-USMC Korean War vet with no legs that was the nicest, yet toughest and fairest judge around, so he was endorsed by BOTH parties and ran unopposed in EVERY election, you could vote for him as EITHER a Dem or a Republican...(THAT'S "Bi-partisanship....")

But even back then, in STATE politics, you had to be a LIBERAL "Rockefeller" Republican, or a Liberal Democrat, ONLY because of the millions of ignorant masses of entitlement-whores in NYCity, along with a lesser extent in Buffalo...coupled with the Unions. Drive through "rural" New York counties and check out the "State Aid" they get...if it's STILL rural and poor with crappy roads (except the Thruway or Rt 17 that runs THROUGH it so the Libs can "drive over" if not "fly over...) you can bet it has a REPUBLICAN local government so it gets crapped on....but they get raped like everyone ELSE in NYS for the taxes to pay for the Aid to go ELSEWHERE to buy votes...

NOW, with all the delusional brain-washed people along the likes of Huck, and "Good People" too weak to fight, too "married" to their land and homes to move, Hillary, Schumer, et al have them shackled and chained, and many good people accept it because they think there is no alternative....

And you see everyone from the NYRPA from local Republicans fighting on DEMOCRATIC terms...

Like this one...I can GUARANTEE the Dems and Libs wanted to regulate (and OUTLAW) BP handguns as regular handguns, Federal Regs be DAMMED...and the NYRPA and Republicans "Dug in" and forced a "compromise" "keeping them legal...."

You can OWN them without a permit, just you can never SHOOT them...:cool:

And when the law got passed, I bet the Republicans and NYRPA ran home and claimed VICTORY....:cool: AND people like Huck would say "SEE? Democrats can be reasonable about gun Control!"
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  13. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

It's quite distrubing that New York, that has historically been a symbol
    of liberty and opportunity, is represented by nuts who want to
    destroy individual rights. I guess they are in competition with Kalifornia
    to be the first to become a small communist nation.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  14. LEE3370

LEE3370 New Member

Just think, as many gunowners as there are, some of them are voting for those gungrabbers!!!
    Next comes Ms. Clinton. We all will suffer then.