BLACK POWDER REVOLVER QUESTION

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by grizzdugan733, Apr 25, 2010.

1. grizzdugan733

grizzdugan733 New Member

I have 1858 new Army Revolver bp .44,
    made by A.Uberti & Gardoneve. T. ITALY,
    also reads Allen F.A.MFG.CO- Santa Fe NM.

I can not find much info on this gun as the company of Allen Firearms
    went out of business in the 1980's.
    I'm looking for value info, loading instructions, and parts accessories.

ANY info will help.

Thank you, Jim
  2. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Uberti makes fine reproductions. Your 1858 Remington is a "keeper".... but if you wish to sell it, you can probably get around $300 if it's in good condition.

As far as loading instructions go, I would recommend the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook, it tells you about everything you need to know.
    Accessories? You definitely need a nipple wrench, a powder measure, and a bore brush... someday you might want to buy a bullet mould and a spare cylinder (or two).
  3. sebou

sebou New Member

Hi
    Grizzdugan733, you can use all of the actual and valid info to give you a idea about the value factory (leader of the manufacturers, great period of nice firearms produced), parts and accessories shall be as similar as possible than 20 years ago... However, some internal mecanisme parts must be ajusted by the owner of revolver repairing. It might the same way if your gun dated 2004. The loading bord is certainly shown on the forum, and could help you about the powder and bullet to use. Any way, the most important thing is what do you want to do, to have a good time to practise shooting.
  4. grizzdugan733

grizzdugan733 New Member

thanks for the info, i am mainly looking to load it correctly and safely. i have heard of flash over if not careful. i need to know the load and to adjust from target to a hunting load.
  5. sebou

sebou New Member

hi again

To load your Remington, you can also look this link.
    This my own process to load 1858 Remington new army model. 44 cal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4PEqUiBfc

This video explain you how to load as the owner's process, but don't forget the basic rules when you play with powder while you are working on C&B revovler. You have to be sure on your job, step by step, you shall be on the good way.
    It's depending what you want to your enjoy practise shooting.
    But, after knowing the main rules to have a safety shoot, you will need to ajusting the weight of powder and/or change the bullet caliber.
    Many thing to do....
    Sincerly,
    Seb
  6. scrat

scrat New Member

you can also go to uberti.com they have a really good website. that gun is very easy to load 35 grains of powder 2FF black with .454 round ball.
    for lube either bore butter or use a wonder lube wad. never go to low on powder on a 1858 though. what happens is the loading ram will not push the ball far enough to meet with the powder so its important to load over 30 grains. anything below that and you will need to use a wad and filler of some type.
  7. bprevolver

bprevolver New Member

You have a very, very, very rare and collectable Remington New Model Army. In 16+yrs of collecting and researching the replica percussion revolvers I have never seen or heard of a Remington being marked Allen Arms. Leonard Frank Allen started Replica Arms, El Paso, TX in 1962 with the first 1847 Army replica, made by Armi San Marco. In 1965 Replica Arms was sold and moved to Marietta, OH.

Mr. Allen then started Western Arms, Santa Fe, N.M. Winchester filed an action because Western Arms was the name of their ammunition. Western Arms then was named Allen Arms, Santa Fe, N.M. In 1984 Mr. Allen entered into a joint venture with Mike Harvey and his company, Bigfoot, in importing replicas from Uberti. This turned into Old West Company of Texas Inc. and then to Cimarron Firearms, Fredericksburg, TX.

I have been unable to find any reference to Allen Arms ever importing a Remington New Model Army. If anyone has an old catalog or owns an Allen Arms Remington please post the information.

If this was in the RPRCA collection (over 1000 guns now) it would not be sold or SHOT. I believe $300 is a very, very low estimate as to this revolvers worth even at this time much, less to its potential value in the future as the collecting of replica percussion revolvers continues to grow.

Can you get pictures of this revolver? If so please post or email to me direct at: rprca@hotmail.com
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  8. Pustic

Pustic Member

@bprevolver - I was reading your reply here and since you know about reproductions I have a question for you. What do you know about 1858 Remingtons made in Italy with Richland Arms Co. on the barrel. It has no other manufacturer name on it. It also has .44 Cal and use black powder only on the barrel. It's an older repro because I've owned it for around 30+ years now. It's also a brass frame. Thank you for any information you might have on it.
    Pustic
  9. bprevolver

bprevolver New Member

Pustic, is this a brass frame Remington or steel? Richland obtained revolvers from several Italian manufacturers. They include Armi San Paolo, Arimi San Marco, Pietta, Palmetto, and the marking PR (unkown). Quality is good to not so good depending on the manufacturer. You might find a logo under the loading lever, on the butt or even on the cylinder (on Remington models Palmetto put a very small palm tree on the cylinder).
  10. Pustic

Pustic Member

@bprevolver - It is a brass frame and there's no other markings outside of what I mentioned on the gun. On the cylinder there is a PN with a star above it, and the serial number with a small palm tree before it. So it looks like I have a Palmetto Remington.

Thank you for this information.

Pustic