black powder revolvers

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by cjcgunnutt, Dec 28, 2011.

1. cjcgunnutt

cjcgunnutt New Member

where can i find a plack powder revolver CHEAP. i am limited of funds. i mean the cheapest money can buy. i dont care what kind it is.

"god made man, sam colt made em' equal"
  2. ofitg

ofitg New Member

3. The Duke

The Duke New Member

A Pietta percussion revolver, new, will set you back about $270...Brass frame models will be even cheaper...Ubertis a bit more...Both are very good...

I suggest you check your local pawn shops...Ive seen BP revolvers there, dirt cheap and in good condition...Make sure you check cylinders, barrel and mechanisim for corrosion as BP is famous for rusting up metal if not cleaned...Nipples should be in good condition and not flattened or deformed from dry firing....Make sure it works also, unless you like changing parts...

Have the shop owner take it apart for you and look at the insides...Some shooters will clean the barrel and cylinders well but neglect the internal mechanism...There are flat springs and other parts inside that may be corroded or broken.

I remember seeing a Pietta Walker in very good condition for less than $100 at a local pawn shop...Wish I had bought it then...:banghead:

Dixie Gun Works has the Uberti 1860 Army, steel frame, on sale for $265....Not a bad price..

If you are handy with tools and a fair to middling gunsmith, you can get a Pietta Spiller & Burr Confederate revolver kit for $175 from them...Its cheap and a do it yourself project... You will soon become addicted to the Holy Soot, mark my words...;)
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Dixie Gunworks !! they got heaps and if you really want to save , buy a kit !!

and they ship anywhere , good folks good service , cant say enough ..
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 to pawn shops. Flea markets and gun shows are another source for used BP revolvers.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Just remember if you get a brass frame to keep loads around 15 grains for a .36 and 20 for a .44 or you'll turn it into a paperweight pretty quick.
  7. Pustic

Pustic Member

Gun shows. :) That's where I get mine, gun shows, usually around $150.00 for a good '58 Remington .44.:D
  8. Eagle 1953

Eagle 1953 New Member

Got this one at a grage sale $50.00

Attached Files:

9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

FWIW that's a short barrel Griswold & Gunnison in .44. None of the originals had a short barrel and all were .36 caliber.
  10. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

nice Eagle. I have a hard time running into deals like that:D