Black powder rifle kits

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Thinking of making a "kit" muzzle loader....

What were the "original" finish on the old Pennsylvania black powder muzzle loaders? I some how don't think they had Hot Salts Bluing back then... So would it be Rust Brown/ Bluing? Also... the "furniture" on the old muzzle loaders... Brass... or Steel? I figured brass... cheaper? and easier to form / shape?

Thanks for any info,
    Shawn
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Rust browning on the steel. Pennsylvania rifles did have brass furniture for the most part but many rifle makers used iron furniture.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Go to www.trackofthewolf.com

They have all kinds of kits and everything else you need to complete the project.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The originals generally had blued barrels and lockplates, with brass trigger guards, patch box covers and sideplates, and lock sideplates (on the other side of the stock). In some fancier guns, those parts were silver plated or of German silver.

The stocks were usually maple and the screws were iron, not brass. (As one old time rifle maker asked me when I asked why iron and not brass, "Did you ever try to drive a brass screw into rock maple?")

Some barrels were colored brown or plum.

Jim
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member