Black Powder Rifles from India

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Agentwil, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

Hey Blackpowder shooters take a look at this link and tell me what you think. These rifles were uncovered in India and are being sold as is for a fair price. I don't know much about these type of rifles but I love historical items. If someone else has posted on this topic I didn't find it in the threads so don't freak out if it has been discussed.

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/c-162-guns-rifles-untouched.aspx
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

be careful

India "finds" a lot of historic stuff that turns out to be cheap reproductions aged up to look old

i dunno how many blokes come to me to restore thier $400-$4000 ultra rare Lee Maddison (1887) .303 only to be told by me its a fake

i feel like a bastard every time eh

of 3800 imported at great expence and paperwork and long waits etc only one has been real and the guy found it himself being used by a shepard up near the kyber pass and paid the old guy $600 AUD equivalent in Rupea for it

i dunno about flinters or cap lock stuff aint seen none from there but i'd be real suspect

by a enfied gold star motorcycle copy from there instead at least they work and wont blow up in your face and are a decnt price

sorry

jack
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

What do I think?
    "Run away, agentwil. RUN!"

'Most anything from India is suspect.
  4. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

These rifles aren't out of India but are from Nepal. Atlanta Cutlery and International Military Antiques bought out the Nepal Royal Arsenal a number of years ago. Britain had dumped their surplus arms on Nepal over a period of time back in the 1800's (Some 430 tons worth). The majority of these just sat in storage (and not very good storage) since the 1890's. Some are actual British, some are copies made in Nepal and elsewhere.
    It's my understanding that the "untouched" versions being sold in the attached link are closer to "Relics" than they are to "Antiques'. The wood on most is in almost unrecoverable condition (including worm damage on some)
    You might luck out and get one that can be saved or, if you just want an original wallhanger, go for it.
    They've been selling the better one's for the last 10 to 15 years. These are the one's that they felt weren't worth their time to try to clean up and sell.
  5. rammed

rammed New Member

I would not touch them.
  6. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I might, but not at $300 to $500 a pop. Maybe $30 to $50 (or less;))
  7. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

Your responses are what I have been thinking. I love antique firearms but these maybe too far gone. I would like a project for a wall hanger but not sight unseen. Thanks again for your opinion.
  8. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I've been to their showroom and held these in my hands. Little to no rifling left. Some were bored smooth to fire shot, an anti-riot gun. Might be these.
    I would not even consider these, at those prices.
    Given to me free I'd hang it on the wall. No way I'd shoot one!