Black Powder Subs in a flintlock....???

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by polishshooter, Nov 3, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I'm going to try and find some blackpowder locally again today, but it's getting hard to find....

But just out of curiosity, do any of the new "whizbang" BP substitutes work in a flintlock? Has anybody tried it? In a .45?

I don't want to waste any money experimenting, BUT I have PLENTY of 4F priming powder, it's the 3F stuff I go through quickly,, I'm WONDERING if it would ignite if I still used BP in the pan.....
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I have used Pyrodex RS in my T/C Renegade flintlock for years with good results. The trick is to load a duplex load. I drop 15 gr. of 4F blackpowder in first, and then load the Pyrodex. The 4F in the pan ignites the 4F in the back of the chamber, and that burns the Pyrodex. Instantly. Try it, it works. O.S.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Steve, do you calculate the load the same way?

I usually shoot 65 grains FFFg BP in my .45 Hopkins Allen Flintlock behind a patched .440 roundball, so would I go 15 FFFFg, then 50gr. of the Pyro?
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

PS, you are exactly correct. I calculate the 4F with the Pyrodex.