Black powder?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by glens67, Feb 24, 2011.

1. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Where do you get yours?
    Glen
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i purchase loose 777 after deer season is over,i can generally get it a lot cheaper.i buy mine from meiers or walmart. old semperfi
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I get mine at Friendship IN at the NMLRA national shoots in June and Sept. Go to:
    NMLRA.org
    and go to the classified section in their links. There will be some adds for Black Powder from distributors that will ship it to your door PROVIDING your state allows it.
  4. rammed

rammed New Member

Graf's carries it.

http://www.grafs-dealer.com/

If you go to the NMLRA site. Look up charter clubs in your area. You may be able to buy some from them.

If you mail order it, you may want to set up a group buy. As shipping will have a hazardous material charge added to it.
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Do you have to belong to the NMLRA to buy powder at Friendship? I used to belong for quite a while but it's been a few years since I let it lapse. But we still go at least to the June Shoot every year, where I pick up all my other stuff I need on manufacturers row.

But the old guy who owned the shop in town that was the last place locally I could buy powder just died, and though while his wife is trying to keep it open the consensus is it probably won't be in a little while.

He was a great guy, a regionally/nationally known rifle builder in his prime, and lived to be like 94....Roy Knight.
  6. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Yes you have to belong sadly. Their magazine Muzzle Blast has gone way down hill and getting into Friendship Free and buying powder at the powder magazine are the ONLY good things about belonging. Memebrship is $35 now but you can buy at the gates in Friendship. The shop I "think" has already closed but I not for sure.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

caves ( and their inhabitants , the bats ) provide my nitrate

smoking mountain ( place near by ) provides my sulfhur

and i make my own coal
  8. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Hear, hear!

Jack's posts inspired me to try making my own blackpowder - I don't get nitrates from bat caves, but I can make potassium nitrate from grocery store products - and the homemade BP works fine.

My next step is to produce my own willow charcoal.

Homemade BP is a great survival skill - why not learn it now, before the UN shuts everything down?

Cheers, Jack!
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and after a small few tries you'll be wondering why you forked out good dollars for BP when you can make far better yourself and have a ball while doing it ..
  10. whirley

whirley Member

Sulphur and Nitrate is available on Ebay.
  11. sewerman

sewerman New Member

POWDER , INC sells it with freight & hazmat fees factored into cost.

track of the wolf does the same.

buffalo arms sells it too but don't know about hazmat or freight cost.

S.M.
  12. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Powder Inc., Grafs, or Powder Valley. Prices vary a little, but all are good.
  13. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Grafs looks good.
    My son will try to make some too.
    May need some help Jack.
    Glen
  14. scrat

scrat New Member

when i buy Goex i get it from my local shooting range now. However a few years ago i found it pretty hard to get. So i went to the source. I got on the Goex website then emailed them told them i was having problems getting it nearby asked them to get me a list of the people they sell it too. Well the next day they gave me a list of distributors and a few other places. I then called up the distributors. Some i emailed. Then they set me up with a few gun shops they sell too. I went to one only to find out they were out and had been for a while. So i emailed the distributor again. The next day the distributor was in contact with the gunshop. They made a deal and a few days later i had both the distributor and the gun shop calling me up saying they had my powder. that went pretty good until the owner of the gun shop closed shop. The owner was in his mid 80's and could not find a buyer to sell the shop so he just clearenced everything and closed shop. Too bad mis that place.
  15. ElvinWarrior

ElvinWarrior New Member

Hey Guys,

Newbie here, not new to BP, not new to guns, just this forum. Been a member of Calguns.net a while now, so, not a total newbie in general....

N.E.... Wayz....

Where I live, In Los Angeles, CA, the "liberals" have passed so many gun control laws at the State Level, The LA County Level, AND, the LA City Level, than nearly all gun shops have shut down, and moved out of LA County, There are only about 6 gun shops left in all of Greater LA, a population area of several MILLION persons, and, only ONE who carries BP products somewhat reliably. Even THAT supplier, DOES NOT carry, actual real Black Powder, he just carries the various brands of Black Powder Substitute.

Things are a gettin tough all over I guess.

N.E. Ways, the substitute powders are okay, if you are a person who likes saccarine instead of sugar, and Turkey Bacon instead of actual real bacon, then, I guess you would LOVE Tripple Sec 7 Black Powder Substitute at $29.00/lb, when you can get it.

So, powder acquisition has been an ongoing problem for me for some time now. One solution, is internet online distributors, who will ship powder to you, which is what I do now.

I generally deal with a distributor called "The Main Powder House",

http://mainepowderhouse.com --- NOTICE... there is no "www", DON'T Add it in !!!

They carry BULK quantities of Goex, German Powders, and Swiss Powders. You have to fill out a signature form, which is a simple little one liner you fill out and either mail, email, or fax into them, along with an image of your State DL or ID. If you email it in, or fax it in, you will be able to order from them the same day if you get that done before noon or so. They ship, as soon as your payment clears, and if you use a major credit card, that is immediately.

They will give you somewhat of a break, if you order 25lbs or more, in that they will pay the $20.00 Hazmat fee for ground shipping a hazmat tracked item through the mail, and, they will pay the shipping, so, that right there is on or about a $40.00 savings. (Hazmat will not allow the shipping of Black Powder by air carrier, ground carrier, package services, ONLY.) For example, if you ordered 5lb of Goex 2Fg, and 5lb of Goex 3Fg and 3lb of Goex 4Fg. at their current Goex pricing of $15.00/lb that would come in at, $195.00 for the powder, But that is only a 13lb order, so, you have to cover the Hazmat fee and the shipping feee, so, toss in another $40.00 bux, bringing your order total to $235.00.

If you ordered a nice round, 25lbs of Black Powder, for an additional $150.00, your $20.00 Hazmat Fee AND your shipping charges would be picked up by the company., so, for an additional $150.00, you DOUBLE the amount of powder you get from the $235.00 order, actually, a pretty good deal if you can swing the total order price, for 25lbs of Goex powder at $375.00.

I don't know about you, but 25lbs of Black powder for me, even though I am a fairly advid BP Enthusiast, I am sort of stingy with my powder out on the range, is over a years supply of powder for me, and works out to a big savings for me, even though the $375.00 for the order is a bit stiff to swallow when I place it.

The following pricing list, is lifted right out of the "The Main Powder House", company web page.

Please read our Ordering Policy BEFORE placing an order.

First time buyers MUST complete the Ordering Statment Form BEFORE placing an order!

Kennesaw Deck Cannon $28.00
    FCannon Kennesaw Field Cannon $28.00
    GCannon Kennesaw Garrison Cannon $28.00
    Brushes 3 Gun Brushes $9.00
    Scope Afforadable Brass Borescope $19.99
    Safe Powder Storage Safe $199.00

Sch-R Reenactor Powder, best for Blank Fire $12.50/lb
    Sch1Fg Schuetzen Black Powder, best for large caliber cartridge rifles and muzzleloaders $15.00/lb
    Sch2Fg Schuetzen Black Powder, best for 50 caliber and larger $15.00/lb
    Sch3Fg Schuetzen Black Powder, best for 45 caliber and smaller $15.00/lb

Null-B Swiss Black Powder, The worlds finest Pan Powder. Faster and Hotter than any other pan powder. Limited Quantities! $27.00/lb
    Sw1Fg Swiss Black Powder, used in large caliber BP Cartridge rifles $20.50/lb
    Sw1.5Fg Swiss Black Powder, used in large caliber BP Cartridge rifles $20.50/lb
    Sw2Fg Swiss Black Powder, used in larger caliber rifles and pistols (over .45 caliber). Also used in BP Cartridge rifles & pistols $20.50lb
    Sw3Fg Swiss Black Powder, used in small caliber rifles, pistols & revolvers (under .45 caliber) $20.50/lb
    Sw4Fg Swiss Black Powder, used in priming powder for flintlock rifles and pistols $20.50/lb

Gx2F Goex Black Powder, best for 50 Caliber and larger $15.00/lb
    Gx3F Goex Black Powder, best for 45 caliber and smaller $15.00/lb
    Gx4F Goex Black Powder Priming powder for Flintlock Rifles and Pistols $15.00/lb

Decal Bullet Hole Decal $3.60
    Book Reenactor's Black Powder Guide $14.95

There are other online outfitters out there that ship BP as well, but The Main Powder House is as good as any, and they are reliable, and generally ship the same day.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

ElvinWarrior... aka... David

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S... One of my very favoritist of pics... "A Boy, and his Pet !!!"

[​IMG]
  16. Pustic

Pustic Member

17. Hogpost

Hogpost New Member

I second the motion on MainePowderHouse. Good quality, reasonable prices, and they make it as easy as possible. You can mix & match powders in one order, even if only 5 lbs.
  18. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Powder Inc. is where I get all of mine anymore.