Black Prince/Bridge Gun Company

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cretefinisher, Jan 24, 2010.

1. cretefinisher

cretefinisher New Member

I have a "Black Prince" 12 gauge single shot made by the "Bridge Gun Company", A846051. It was my great-grandfathers. I have found the Bridge Gun Company info, but nothing inparticular to the "Black Prince"... anyone have any info?
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The Bridge Firearms Co. was not a firearm manufacturer. The name was only a " Trade Name, or Store Brand " for the long gone Shapleigh Hardware Chain. They used this name on shotguns that they acquired from the lowest bidder. Some of the makers that are listed are Crescent, Stevens, H&R and various Belgium imports. They used the name Black Prince on single barrel shotguns they sold regardless of who the actual maker was ( think J C Higgins and Sears ). Value of these trade name shotguns is not high, maybe 100 dollars if in good shape.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those shotguns were made for quite a long period of time, spanning the change from black powder to smokeless. The older ones have Damascus barrels, and should not be fired, and certainly not with modern shells. I strongly recommend giving the old heirloom an honorable retirement hanging on the wall.

Jim
  4. cretefinisher

cretefinisher New Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I have no intentions of firing the gun anymore, last time I remember it being fired was over 20 years ago.