black rifles

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wyoredot, Mar 21, 2010.

1. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

I'm gonna be in the market for a black rifle here in a few weeks, any resident experts and owners want to weigh in? I've heard recommendations on Rock River Arms, DPMS and probably two others that I can't recall here. I will probably suppress it later so a threaded barrel will be in order. Thoughts?
  2. linnel70

linnel70 New Member

S&W and Colt all of these are good alot depends on exactly what you are looking for. A trip to your local range would probable give you a chance to try some different models.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

heres some pics of mine. Its a DPMS lo-pro classic 16" bull bbl. I fitted a full length DPMS float tube to 'hide' the gas system and mounted a Burris Fullfield 2 in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount as well as a Chip McCormick supermatch trigger. With handloads it will shoot less then 3/4 MOA.

Attached Files:

5. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Hmmm, thanks guys, now throw in the wylde chambering thing going on...... not that I'd use 5.56 but... if thats what I could get, I would. Well, that was quick! I do like the looks of your custom, don't care for a flash hider? I only have fired 'em with, but I suppose it ain't a problem..?
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Do you handload?
  7. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Actually I like the looks alot and see that it is capable of .223 and 5.56. Common with the black rifles? Also we sure got a kick out of the wtf calender thing! That's great! Yes I do handload everything I shoot.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

5.56 safe for both, .223 for .223 only. I use 5.56 brass and .223 brass indiscriminantly although i do separate and load the 5.56 brass with a half grain less powder. My pet load is a 53 gr. sierra matchking over 24.5 gr of IMR 4895. this load will put 5 rounds into 5/8" at 100 yds and I use the same load topped with a 53 gr. Barnes TSX for deer and hogs, It also shoots SUB MOA. and both loads are developed in .223 brass, Hornady brass to be exact. COL is 2.230 for both as well and I use CCI 450 primers.

Thet WTF calendar thing is funny as anything, my mom sent me that in a text message a few weeks ago while i was driving, I laughed so hard i nearly wrecked...:)
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  9. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

The part in RED is exactly backwards.
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Really it also depends on your budget. DPMS makes some good stuff but also there is daniel defense, DSA, YHM. Thats just the uppers. Lowers there are many many machine shops turning them out, most though buy their billets from a hand full of casters.
    you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber but not vice versa 5.56 had higher pressure spikes on its factory ammo. If you reload and use the same or slightly modified recipe between calibers then its fine. 5.56 and 223 dimensionally are the same but the brass thickness is different to make up for the higher pressures of the 5.56
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I did it again:eek: Nice catch gunhugger;)
  12. docwalt

docwalt New Member

Check local laws first....I beleive that threaded barrels are a no-no in
    some States.
  13. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Thanks everyone for the ideas. There is a business here in MT that sells the doublestars and I will see if I can shoot a couple then decide.
  14. verminater71

verminater71 New Member

My RRA will shoot 1/2MOA cost 2,000$

My Del-ton will shoot 3/4 MOA cost 650$

I don't handload...this is with factory ammo.......if a gun won't shoot 1MOA with factory ammo I sell it....
  15. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

V71, Never heard of the Del-ton, ?? would you elaborate? A guy here has a dpms for sale and will let me test fire it. I'm with you on the 1in. or less MOA. I've been bit a couple of times..
  16. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a black rifle?
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

AR-15, AK-47, SIG-556, FN SCAR,etc... they all fit the category, but it mosly refers to AR-15/M-16 family...
  18. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

its the rifles that fall in the AR15, M4, M16 Class/ Called black rifle b/c of the black phosphorous coating of the metal and black polymer stocks and hand guards.
    Like so

Attached Files:

19. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

Ah okay thank you.
  20. verminater71

verminater71 New Member