Black Rifles

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by cycloneman, Nov 23, 2011.

?

Do you use a black rifle to hunt with?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2011.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. I would like to

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Never, that's just not right

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Do you hunt with them?
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

That's what I killed my doe with last Saturday. It was an AK variant and a very potent 7.62 x 39mm round, loaded with a 5 round hunting mag. I had one shot off and she laid where she was shot. There was not hamburgerising as those who are not in the know would have accused of a "black rifle" shot.

Let me explain. I loved hunting with my Remington 870 12 gauge and Marlin XL7 .270 until I realized that they're much too cumbersome to handle in my tight hunting confines. I then switched to the collapsible stock AK and a .44 Magnum scoped pistol on other days. They take deer down well and are very versatile. The "black rifle" stereotype is nothing but political nonsense.

The 7.62 x 39mm round is essentially a .30-30 in a more versatile package. Use 'em if you've got 'em.. ;)
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

used to , retired now ...
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I'd like to see comments from those who say "that's just not right." It seems odd to me that a gun's cosmetic appearance would preclude it from hunting use. :confused:
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree, but I'm sure there are those that think it should be precluded!
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The way I see it, you got three basic choices, if you plan to hunt with "Evil Black Rifles".

You got 223 - AR, and Mini and others of similar ilk. I consider 223 too small for deer.

You got your 308 - FAL, M1A and others of similar ilk. Plenty powerful enough, but just too damn heavy for the round. I'd much rather carry my Steyr 6-pound bolt through the woods all day, than my 8-pound M1A.

Then you got your 7.62x39. The round is fine. The SKS is too big for it (same argument as the 308 - 5-pound Winchester 30/30 vs. 7-pound SKS), and the AK is just too damn ugly.

Now, I got no problem with you hunting with anything you feel like, as long as it is powerful enough to do the job.

But as for me, I prefer my stuff to look good. Forged blued steel and walnut always wins over stamped painted sheetmetal and plastic.
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We have 6 Ar's now and a few mini-14s and luv them for hunting. Throw a 2 point sling on and you won't find a better quick shooter. Nice and short, perfect on atv or snowmachine. We started using my first 556 preban back around 2001 on caribou and wolves when we were out riding the skandics. I had a buddy who showed me a 2 point sling for an AR and I got one. I like having a 10 rounder in a gun that has no kick whatsoever. We have 556s, 6.8s, and got a 338 fed last year; hardly use the 556's anymore; 6.8 spc is my go to gun. Have killed wolves, bear, and caribou with that gun too.
  8. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

AR15 platform rifles are available in calibers perfectly suitable for whitetail. We have put several sub-MOA AR-platform guns in the field in calibers such as 6.8 SPC-II, 6.5 Grendel, .300 Blackout, 7.62x39 and 7.62x40WT. Hog hunters love 'em too.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i had a early Saiga ( AK semi) tricked out some ( gun show in the USA and $) it was a great pig and close Buff gun till the laws changed , i've hunted roo's with my old CAR carbine with extended stock (till i had to get that one outta the country ) it'd be great for camel's

no reason , a lot of animal shooting is the control aspect here , for that you want semi auto or even auto fire ( herd of pigs in a wallow) , but where stuff in a few states with bolt actions , dumb dumb dumb , SKS's and L1A1's are what to need to cull pig's here and be effective

a L1A1 with a wood match stuck down behind the sear and a 30 Rnd banana mag does wonders on a herd of pig's

wish those days where back eh ..
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  10. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I don't own any black rifles. It does not matter to me what people use to hunt with.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

me either.. use what you can ..
  12. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Ive hunted and killed whitetail with an AR platform in the past, but there are better rifles suited to hunt quadrapeds...Ive got a DPMS Sweet 16 bull barrel that Im dying to try out on pararie dogs one day....I dont believe you should classify a gun as a "non-hunting' gun simply because of the way it looks.,..To each his own...
  13. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Another positive aspect is the top & side rails you have on most blk rifles. I just luv changing scopes from gun to gun, moving sling attachments, collapsible stocks, 16 inch barrels, and just all the options. Don't get me wrong, I still use the Weatherby with 26 inch barrel, but when I jump on snowmachine, the AR is the gun that goes with me.

I've killed everything except a grizz & moose with 6.8 stag. I know it would kill a moose, but now have AR-10 338 fed for that. Ain't about to take a chance on grizz unless I have the boy with the 338 mag backing me up. The Indians down Fort Yukon killed a sow polar bear with a 556 several years back. Bear was strolling thru village, local followed tracks and caught bear 1/2 mile outside village. Indian had AR and shot polar bear like a 7-8 times with fmjs, bear was dead.
  14. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The black mat coating & synthetic stocks aren't necessarily supposed to "look" good. Black guns were designed for functionality & durability.

The synthetic furniture is more durable in the field (battle or hunting) than wood. The black coating helps fight off rust & damage to the integrity of the metal. The "mat" texture on the barrel prevents reflextion that can be seen by whatever quarry you are after. You don't want your position given away no matter what your hunting; (man or beast).

I agree NOTHING can compare to beautiful woodwork, etching & bluing as far as "LOOKS" are concerned. However, hunting with "black" rifles makes a lot of sense.

That's my o2c

-
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

What exactly is a black rifle?

Remington has the sps that is all black. Is that a black rifle I mean it is a rifle and it is black. Remington also produces an AR rifle that is not black but cammo is that still a black rifle. What is the difference between an AR and a BAR? Both semiautos and both come with black stock.
  16. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

exactly

makes me wonder why there are 9 votes for no and 1 vote for i would never.
  17. Chinook

Chinook New Member

It is certainly hard to distinguish the technicalities.. I rabbit hunt with a 10/22 sometimes, and my buddy has a 10/22 as well, 'cept its all black. Matte black barrel, reciever comes black, and a black stock. Its a fairly "tactical" looking .22, but its fun for him. My rabbit rifles might have a buncha custom stuff, like stocks, barrels, and custom powdercoat... But my 10/22 would not appear to be a "black rifle" while my buddy looks like hes carrying around an AR'ish looking, short barrel, collapsible stock pack-rifle thru the heavy timber... Is his a black rifle? Im not sure Id refer to it as that, but plenty of folks do...My coyote rifle is a true black platform gun tho. AR in .223, but that the only one I own, which is weird since I really enjoy shooting that rifle so much.
  18. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Think of the weapons you're seeing in the hands of modern military, and more and more civilians. That's not the entire spectrum, but you're on the way.
  19. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

"Black rifle" is a crutch that us pro-gunners have given to what the liberal anti-educated morons call "assault weapons." The guns have been slanted to "look" evil. In fact, they're just utilitarian. In no way did the 2nd Amendment say that every firearm produced for civilian consumption had to have a hand-carved Kentucky Rifle stock. In fact, the mere thought that so many folks have bought into the "black rifle" bad thing tells me that the media is getting into the ranks of the pro-gun.

"You don't need one of those guns" soon turns to "why do you need a gun?"...

I had someone that I respect recently ask me if it was legal to hunt with an AK-variant, which I regularly use. I said, "yes, and why would you ask that?... It's a normally functioning semi-automatic rifle..." Yes, the public perception bug has bitten even the gun-loving community.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  20. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The military uses the M-16 or the M-4 or a variable of them they don't use an AR-15. Just as the 223 and 556 are different the m-16 is different than my AR-15.

Plus an Assult rifle is a select fire. My AR-15 only shoots semiauto.

Again what's he difference between a Remington 700 sps and an ar-15? Other than the fact that some old uneducated jack wagons like to bash a rifle based on what the liberial media fills their head with.

If I get a call to go ground hog bunting I reach for my RRA PPR before my 3# heavier remmy 700. My at is more accurate lighter and it allowes me to carry 20 rounds in the gun and 20 more in my back pocket with ease.

I grew up in a house where the only semiauto was my 10-22 and the M-1 Garand. we shot bolt actions and a few lever guns and some single shots. Semiauto was not for hunting.

I spent 8 years in the army taking care of the m-16 so for me to buy an ar is just normal. I know this platform inside and out seeing as I also took the US Army armoire course and passed with a 100% perfect score. Gaining one of the fastest times on disassembly and reassembly of them M-16 and the M-240b.

If you don't like what I shoot I don't care last time I looked this is a free country. If I wanted to wear a leather loin cloth and hunt pigs with a $3 Bowie knife I can in many states. S mind your own business.

United we triumph divided we fall. As long as someone is a responsible gun owner they could hunt with a pink and green rocket powered chain say as long as they own guns they are a friend of mine.