Blackhawk 357/9mm convertable and Stevens "Favorite"

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jclinmn, Oct 20, 2009.

1. jclinmn

jclinmn New Member

I'm thinking about buying a BH 357/9mm convertable from a lady friend who is selling her late husbands guns. The serial number is 34-28941. Is this a 1978? What would be a fair price? I'd say it's in good condition.

She is also selling a Stevens Favorite 22 Long Rifle. This rifle is in poor to fair condition with a serial number A 259 70. Top of barrel markings are covered by the rear sight but might read J. Stevens A&T Co Pat April 17 94. What can be seen past the sight starts with the "T". This writing appears to be on one line so not sure if Chicopee Falls Mass is there or not. From what I've seen in the Stevens Favorite thread, this serial number is not like the others. Thanks for any help.

Semper Fi, JCL in MN
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yep. 1978. A fair price, in my opinion, for a Blackhawk in normal (not abused or beat-up) condition, would be between 3 and 4 hundred. Bein's as it's a convertible, it would be more on the high side. "Good condition" means many different things, to many different people. With pictures I might could come up with a smaller price range. It also depends on the gun's features. Normal barrel lengths were 4 5/8 and 6 1/2. I've seen guns with barrels outside those norms, and in my opinion they aren't worth as much. They might be rarer, but most people buying a Blackhawk want something they can tote. A 9 inch barrel is awkward. A 3 inch barrel is balanced wrong. Less people would want it, so the value is less.
  3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I bought my BH for $499 brand new, if that helps.
  4. jclinmn

jclinmn New Member

Thanks for the reply Alpo and pinecone70.
  5. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Yeah he has the price about right on the BH, one of my favorite weapons for the range and deer hunting.
  6. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Please be advised that on the ones that I've seen Ruger sized the bore to accommodate the .003" or so larger .357 Magnum bullet. Typically, .357's and .38's shoot quite accurately in the revolver; the 9mm not quite so accurately due to the slight overbore issue. However, if you can put up with just a bit of accuracy degradation, the .357/9mm combo is nice to have. The good condition Ruger Blackhawk combo's go for $350-$375 at gun shop retail around here, but then again we have a pretty active new and used firearm market.
  7. jclinmn

jclinmn New Member

Thanks for your input Oldeyes... I'm aware of the accuracy issue in shooting the 9 mm in the 357 bore. That little bit of oversizing dosen't let the 9 mill fully engage the lands and groves. At least that is my opinion. Because I already own two other 9 mm`s, a CZ 75 Compact and a WW2 Radom "Vis", it makes sense to me to have one other option should I ever need it. Jim