The Firearms Forum banner

Blackpowder pistol hunting question?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Little Rooster 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and love what I've seen so far.

I have a hunting question for the experts in here.

I've been a blackpowder rifle hunter for years but have just recently aquired an 1851 .44 caliber Navy blackpowder pistol from Cabela's.

The question I have is what load of powder should I be using for whitetail deer hunting. I've been target practing with 20 grains but am thinking I need to kick it up a notch for hunting purposes. Should I be using 30 or maybe 40 grains of powder for this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and I welcome any and all advice on this matter.

Doc

#3 ·
First off check with your state. Most black Powder seasons require a single shot rifle, or shotgun
loaded from the muzzel. Or I'd be hunting with Black powder carts. You might be able to use it during a regular hunting season in most states but not during Primative or muzzel loading.
Secondly Cabela's or one of the fine italian makers dreamed up the 1851 in .44 cal. '51's were .36 cal. Not to say they are bad guns (I own a pair). .44 ball round is going to be way to light however a .44 conical might get the job done. IMHO .40 grains of black in one of these reproduction guns might cause a lot of stress on the gun and your body parts. Short of using a Walker, I would not advise using that much powder in one of these. .24grains is plenty of ffg or fffg to make it move.

#4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

This pistol would be used during regular deer rifle season and not muzzle loading season.

So you guys are saying that you don't think the .44 cal with 20-25 grains would be enough powder for a close distance white tail hunt?

#5 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

This pistol would be used during regular deer rifle season and not muzzle loading season.

So you guys are saying that you don't think the .44 cal with 20-25 grains would be enough powder for a close distance white tail hunt?
To get a quick kill, yes I think it's too light. It might get done if your fast enough to put 5 or 6 quick shots in it. One would probably mortally wound a deer, with a single shot, chances of finding it would be slim though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.