Blackpowder rifle bluing

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by RayJ, Mar 13, 2010.

1. RayJ

RayJ New Member

I am new to building a blackpowder rifle. I have purchased and building a Kentucky long rfile from a Traditions kit. I am at a point where I need to consider the finish for the barrel. I would like to ry the finish myself. Putting together hot tanks and the sort for chemical hot bluing is not feasible.
    I have read some about cold buing and seem to think that might work.

Before I start I am soliciting some help form those who have done this before. any thoughts or advice??
  2. ZZZ

ZZZ New Member

I used Birchwood Casey Plum Brown. Bluing doesn't look very authentic. The plum brown is easy to use. Works best for me by heating with a propane torch, applying with a swab, and following up with some wet steel wool while keeping barrel hot to even the finish. It then gets rinsed with water to neutralize it. The instructions didn't say anything about the steel wool before rinsing. Kinda found that out on my second kit, and got a much better result.
  3. Hunting Man

Hunting Man New Member

Go on line to "Track of the Wolf" their products and equipment are top notch. Look for Mountain Laural browning solution, its easy and you can decide what color of brown you want by simply going darker by applying more coats. It's just a cold apply so can't be easier. This is of course if you wish to brown the steel parts. For me personally, browning always looks appropriate on a muzzleloader. Good luck on your project.
  4. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    Definitely go with browning, not bluing. You'll have a more authentic, interesting rifle.
    I purchased a CVA Mountain Rifle, Hawken-pattern, about 1980. I was particularly attracted to it, over the more common Thompson, because it was browned and not blued. It just looked older, more authentic.
    I've never regretted that decision. Go with browning.
  5. grey8833

grey8833 New Member

If you insist on a blue finish, try Mark Lee Express Blue. Its not express and its not blue, more like a blue black. Its a boiled finish (you scald the barrel in a pvc pipe thingy that takes all of ten minutes to make). Takes several coats and a bunch of hot water later (seal the barrel) and you are done. The finish you get is one of the toughest metal finishes I have ever seen. I did it on a percussion target rifle that was period correct for a blued barrel. Really impressive.

Mike F