blackpowder shotgun question?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by remington1990, Aug 21, 2012.

1. remington1990

remington1990 Member

i am in civil war reenactment and i see alot of double barrel shotgun on the field and i have been wanting to know was there ever any single barrel shotgun made thanks
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yes many

from your civil war there was a gent called buford , he was a expert at deep penetration raiding

his pistols was remington but he carried a single barrel shot gun he'd load with buck shot .. and i believe it was not uncommon from what i have read

its described in a book called "The Battle of Lewis Ford"
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Southern cavalry pretty much ditched their sabers and replaced them with sawed off doubles which they backed up with 4-6 revolvers. Single barrel guns were in abundance during the time period but I fail to see why anyone would want to carry a single barrel if a double was available. Now at the beginning of the war Southerners carried whatever they could get their hands on until they could replace it with better stuff captured from the Union.
  4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Search Google images for a New England Fowler or percussion fowler and you will see many examples of single barrel shotguns from the 19th century and late 18th centuries.