Blade Lock on Folders

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Smoky14, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Nowhere NM
    I see different types of blade locks on folders, which is prefered?
    I had a bolster lock on a Mil issued knife which allowed the blade to fold under stress and I still wear a scar to remember how ineffective that lock was.
    I'm looking at a Gerber and the CKRT.
    Help an old man who hasn't kept up with the latest in knife tech.

Smoky the old

Am I using the correct discription for bolster lock ie; springs out from the side behind the blade when it opens. My SOG has a spring lock which engages the back of the blade.
    Thanks Smoky

2. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    southern NJ
    Mornin Smoky,
    Which SOG and CRKT models are you considering?

3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Smoky, lots of folders have locks.....most do not do their job. Gerber is one of the worst. You should not have problems with the SOG.

A simple test of any locker.

Open knife, hold between thumb and forefinger (handle) blade edge up, supporting handle with remaining fingers. Find a piece of wood (wife won`t like this on the coffee table-lol) and rap it sharply on the spine of the blade.
    With force, don`t just tap it a few times, whack it.

You will be surprised how many fail this test.

LTS

4. Thanks for the info LTS. I was looking at picking up a folder also and I narrowed it down to a CRKT, Camillius (?) and a Kershaw. I saw the SOG which I think it was the MK14 or MK16 but I wanted one withthe blused finish.

Now I just gotta convince the wife I "need" a new knife.

5. offeror

offeror New Member

May 17, 2004
    NE Indiana
    I just looked at a Kershaw folder today (clearance sale at Wal-Mart, odds 'n ends, reg. $49, sale $29) and was very impressed with the heft, the smooth power-assisted operation, and the very sharp blade.

Frankly, I'm satisfied right now with my Cold Steel Voyager, so I didn't spend the $29 on another knife today. I'll probably kick myself later.

I'm not a big fan of the "tension spring" method of locking and unlocking a folding blade, the system that seems to be most popular on inexpensive knives from China. But I'll admit that some upscale folders use a superior version of the same system that looks very strong and reliable, and the system is convenient for one-hand closing.

I'm sure "tension springs" have their strength limits (after all, the blade is resting on a surface about 1 millimeter thick), but most people don't expect performance equal to that of a non-folder, even out of a 4 or 5-inch blade. I do, if I can get it...