The Firearms Forum banner

Blaser R93 LRS2

17K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  paul T 
G
#1 ·
Bergy7
(4/8/02 3:42:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Blaser R93 LRS2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm strongly considering a Blaser R93 LRS2 in .308 Win. for long range competition.

Any thoughts, opinions or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ballistic
(12/17/02 10:08:59 am)
Reply | Edit | Del nice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
looks to be a very nice rifle, i am looking to purchase the SSG3000, his older bro!

H L King
(1/8/03 2:04:58 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Blaser R93 LRS2
Howdy Bergy7.

I guess I'm one of the fellas you'd be wanting to hear from: It's 0021hrs. where I am and about an hour ago I wrapped up solvent-soaking the barrel of my .300 Win. Mag. Blaser R93 LRS2. Gotta hit the sack right now; when I caught your post, I'd just about finished surfing the net. I wanted to drop you a quick line before turning in to let you know that there is intelligent life out here with regards to your query on this weapon. I promise I'll get back to you ASAP(next 24-48 hrs.).

Straight Shooting,
HLK

Xracer
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/9/03 9:42:52 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Blaser R93 LRS2
Hi Bergy7 and H.L. King.....and welcome to TFF.

Nice to see new guys helping each other out.....hope you'll both stick around and become a part of the TFF family.

H L King
(1/11/03 2:38:36 am)
Hey again, Bergy7.

Sorry about the wait,these past few days have left me stone bushed. Anyway,what follows is about half a penny's worth of my two cents on the Blaser R93 LRS2.

First thing you should know is that the rifle truly wants to shoot.Mine prints sub-one inch groups at 200 meters to the point of boredom, and I've noticed more than once that a good number of the three-shot groups after a day's shooting session are patterned very similarly, like some wise guy rubber-stamped the targets! I've owned mine since June 2002, and gave her a good workout through the summer and fall, primarily with Federal's 190 grain match load.

Finding someone that can tune the LRS2's lockwork may be a good idea before purchasing this weapon for competition; in fact, looking for an LRS2-competent 'smith is exactly what I was doing when I bumped into you on the web. Its trigger break is,well... Different:not crisp-kinda more like 'stagey'. What I mean is that you feel a smooth, progressive increase in the trigger's resistance to sear let-off as you work through your press. This idiosyncracy is associated with a slight, correspondingly smooth trigger motion akin to what happens on a finely tuned revolver just prior to the moment of hammer release during staged-style double-action firing; you feel the sear smoothly roll off the trigger, rather than crisply break free of it. Man, that was a mouthful! The short of it is that this type of trigger release may not be what you are accustomed to, so, if you haven't already, see if you can get a dealer to let you dry-fire one before you shuck your bucks!

Being a "Breaks Like Glass" type of gent myself, I'm somewhat less than cozy with this trigger setup and had determined to find someone to make 'crisp' happen for me sometime this winter. I would do it myself, but the trigger is adjustable only for reach,weight of pull and overtravel-not sear engagement. This, together with the fact that the construction of the R93's firing mechnism is alien to anything else I have ever seen on a bolt gun, convinced me that it's a case for the pros.

All that being said, I must also mention that overall, I am very impressed with the Blaser weapon. This rifle is, simply put, brilliantly concieved in every major aspect of rifle design. Its bolt is unbelievably fast and its muzzle brake, while pricey at around 300 dollars, is by far the most effective I have ever fired on any firearm of any type: muzzle-lift is virtually totally neutralized. The recoil generated by 190 and 200 grain bullets flying at 2850-3000 fps feel about like what you get from a .22-250. I've removed the barrel from my LRS2 over a half a dozen times to date (I can do this in less than 40 seconds), yet, when re-assembled, the rifle shot to precisely the same point of aim every single time...and Bergy, I would never have believed this if I hadn't been the witness!!

These and many other unique features serve to make the LRS2 a fearsome tactical weapon, and certainly a prospect worthy of your serious consideration as a match rifle.

If you have any specific questions on this weapon, tack a note on this board and I'll shoot you the scoop ASAP. I sure hope my "half a penny" helped you out; for some reason, solid info on this rifle is pretty hard to come by.

Anyway, let me know how it worked out for you.

And now, friend, as always:

Straight Shooting,
HLK

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(1/11/03 6:24:42 am)
Welcome to TFF.

Still looking for trigger work ?

Contact Al at Ace Systems. He will probably be able to help.

acesystems@mindspring.com

ScREWtop
(1/18/03 6:33:03 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Blaser R93 LRS2 Vs SSG3000
Hi Guys,

I came across this forum as I was rummaging the net for answers to help me decide between the Blaser R93 (LSR2) and SSG3000.

I am looking for a rifle that can do competition as well as some hunting. After spending hours and hours on the net and buying up all the magazines I can find, its pretty much down to these 2 rifles.

Can someone help please?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: ScREWtop at: 1/18/03 8:51:04 pm

Ballistic
V.I.P. Member
(1/22/03 8:01:51 am)
they are both very nice shooters!

H L King
(1/29/03 10:47:39 pm)
Xracer, shooter45us, thanks for welcoming me to your site and for your help, you run fantastic boards.

ScREWtop, if you must have one of the two rifles you mentioned for any type of competition excepting tactical, I can only tell you what I did: I bought the the Blaser R93. Regardless of which weapon you select, you'll tend to look kinda strange in the field hunting with either of them

You know, it must be some sort of epidemic going around! I now own the Blaser rifle, but, like yourself, found myself comparing it with the Sig. I liked the Sig trigger better the way it came from the factory, but was swayed by the overall versatility of the Blaser weapon. By the way, just what sort of competition were you planning on shooting? Many of them don't allow a muzzle brake, and you're stuck with the one that comes on the Sig. With the Blaser, you just take it off. You're limited to .308 with the Sig, but if you ever need to "go long", in about 3 minutes you can slap a .300 WinMag barrel onto the Blaser. Additionally, the Blaser R93 is a dry-fire practitioner's dream! Just chamber your snapcap, work through your press, and it's right about that time when you realize from what you read in the instruction manual that you don't have to work the bolt again to re-cock the weapon! You just re-set that cute lil' cocking piece on the rear of the bolt shroud and drop the hammer some more. However, if .308- caliber limited, or tactical competition is your shoot, I would have no problem at all with the SSG 3000. My impression of this weapon is that it was never intended as a paper puncher. It's a hardcore business rifle that has what its prospective operator needs to work the type of business it was designed for: A robust stock, a straight shooting barrel, and a clean breaking, ACCESSABLE, adjustable trigger. So now you have my side of it, ScREWtop... Hope it helps.

Straight Shooting,

HLK

bowhunter4us
(2/19/03 7:59:22 pm)
Hello all. I have the blaser lrs2 also. I like it and agree with the triggers. I would like it lighter, I think it breaks nice with it adjusted. I am getting a custom muzzle brake for mine from www.muzzlebrake.com/ this is a nice guy, he takes the time to talk to you and listen, yes phones are still used, and they are cheaper than the factory one. He can match finish and your contour of barrel. I am getting it flared for a more tactical look and having him work on the trigger. I can post pictures if allowed once it is done. Also what are you guys using for optics, brand, power, and recticle style. I want one for shooting out to 500 yrds. I am considering nightforce nxs. Please any info is appreciated, thanks.

bowhunter4us
(2/19/03 8:02:00 pm)
Hello all. I have the blaser lrs2 also. I like it and agree with the triggers. I would like it lighter, I think it breaks nice with it adjusted. I am getting a custom muzzle brake for mine from www.muzzlebrake.com/ this is a nice guy, he takes the time to talk to you and listen, yes phones are still used, and they are cheaper than the factory one. He can match finish and your contour of barrel. I am getting it flared for a more tactical look and having him work on the trigger. I can post pictures if allowed, (but looks like from below they are not) once it is done. Also what are you guys using for optics, brand, power, and recticle style. I want one for shooting out to 500 yrds. I am considering nightforce nxs. Please any info is appreciated, thanks. Also any reloading info or best brands of factory ammo for best groups, thx.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello R93 users.
I have had my R93 LRS2 in 223 and 22-250 and I agree with all that has been said of the rifle.
I own or have owned and shot a lot of them in my 60 years of hunting and shooting and this is without a doubt the finest out of the box shooter that I have ever owned.
I no longer shoot competition, but spend my time in the field shooting prairie dogs. One wonders whether there is a difference in shooting at paper or at live targets but the end result is to place every shot as precise as possible. The difference in shooting live targets being that every shot is at a different angle or distance.
I never shoot under 200 yards and normally do not attempt beyond 400. (Using the Laser range finder for distance measurements)
Over time, I have found the projectiles that my barrels like best and matched them with loads that perform the same with every trigger pull.
I suspect if there is any significant difference in the two disciplines it would be in the trigger action. competition shooting it seems to me would make the shooter much more cognizant of the weight and break of his/her trigger, more so than with live action targets. I have no data other than seat of the pants and years of personal trigger time to base that opinion so it is worth very little from a "factual" standpoint.

But as for selection of rifles and given a choice of any rifle that I want to use, I would once again make the same selection and it would be with the same barrels and bolts. I am considering the addition of the 6.5X55 barrel for long distance, low recoil accuracy and it appears by already having the large bolt for the 22-250, that I can do so and only have the added expense of the scope mounts and a new NightForce 12X42 scope.
Heretofore I use exclusively the Leupold, tacticals in 8.5 X 28 and I love them for my current uses.

Please let us know how you decide and once you have an opportunity to use the rifle of choice, how you feel.

Stay safe, friends.

UncleFudd
www.caswells.com

#3 ·
Hi guys, Has any of you guys found a sweet oal spot for your 308 LRS2 with the Lapua molly 185g scenar and 155g molly scenar bullet with Lapua brass and cci br? also what fps range with the 185g bullets have you guys noticed offers good results for 600-1000y matchs, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.