1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Block O frame orientation

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Brian Albin, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Brian Albin

Brian Albin New Member

The Bonanza 68 press turned the O frame sideways to get the tie down bar out of the operator's way. Why did this pattern not replace the original arrangement? Does it only appear better? Is it actually more clumsy? To me it looks better, but I have not tried one.
  2. mikld

mikld Active Member

Dunno what the manufacturer had in mind, but I like the looks of it. With the "O" at right angles to the operator, it may be easier to put cases in the shell holder. When I operate my C-H single stage press I have to sit to the left (I'm right handed and pull the lever w/my right hand) of the press to easily use my left hand to feed the press. Mebbe with the frame at right angles it may be easier to feed? The only pics I've seen are left hand lever, but I'm sure the lever could be moved to the right side.
  3. Brian Albin

Brian Albin New Member

In the eighth edition John Amber's Handloader's Digest from 1978, it is right handled. The letters spelling BONANZA are correct so the photo is not reversed. This is the only picture I have seen. When I did a Google image search when I started this thread I found none. So I guess it must have had a short production run; which is all the more perplexing, as if nobody liked it. Perhaps due to advertising, as the Rockchucker was getting all the press at that time if I am remembering correctly. Or perhaps reloaders of that day were traditionalists who did not like the appearance of something new.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012