Bloomberg leaves republican party

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rommelvon, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

As if he was a republican to begin with, this loud mouthed jerk makes me sick.

I have just 3 words that will save our country and constitution RUN FRED RUN------THOMPSON 2008

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070619/ap_on_el_pr/bloomberg_politics

NEW YORK - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg left the Republican Party on Tuesday and switched to unaffiliated, a move certain to be seen as a prelude to an independent presidential bid that would upend the 2008 race.

ADVERTISEMENT

The billionaire former CEO, who was a lifelong Democrat before he switched to the Republican Party in 2001 for his first mayoral run, said the change in his voter registration does not mean he is running for president.

"Although my plans for the future haven't changed, I believe this brings my affiliation into alignment with how I have led and will continue to lead our city," Bloomberg said.

With an estimated worth of more than $5 billion, he easily could finance an independent presidential bid.

The 65-year-old mayor has increasingly been the subject of speculation that he will run as an independent in 2008, despite his repeated promises to leave politics after the end of his term in 2009. He has fueled the buzz with increasing out-of-state travel, a greater focus on national issues and repeated criticism of the partisan politics that dominate Washington.

"The politics of partisanship and the resulting inaction and excuses have paralyzed decision-making, primarily at the federal level, and the big issues of the day are not being addressed, leaving our future in jeopardy," he said in a speech Monday at the start of a University of Southern California conference about the advantages of nonpartisan governing.

Throughout his 5 1/2 years as mayor, Bloomberg has often been at odds with his party and President Bush. He supports gay marriage, abortion rights, gun control and stem cell research, and raised property taxes to help solve a fiscal crisis after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

But he never seemed willing to part with the GOP completely, raising money for the 2004 presidential convention and contributing to Bush and other Republican candidates.

Just last year, he told a group of Manhattan Republicans about his run for mayor: "I couldn't be prouder to run on the Republican ticket and be a Republican."
  2. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

I wish I would have known this before he announced it. I would have bought Kleenex stock. I'm sure the tears are falling over this in Gotham.
  3. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Good riddance to BAD RUBBISH !!

This is a special gift just for him - -

Attached Files:

5. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

I just read about this a few minutes ago. I never considered that slime ball to be a Republican in the first place. Lets hope he never runs for president but if he does run as an independent I hope he doesn't draw votes from the Republicans and end up putting Hitlery in office. :mad:
  6. Lon Norder

Lon Norder New Member

I never dreamed this thing was a Republican. This means that the N.Y. Republican Party supported it for office, and it would have received campaign assistance from them, does it not?

(yes, I'm aware of the chunk of change from this thing's personal fortune spent to buy the election, but was Republican Party assistance provided?)

LN
  7. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I'm sure 6-7 years ago the Repubs were glad to give Bloomberg money to run on their ticket. Guess their ROI was negative! :)
  8. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

Now, if he'd just learn to shut his mouth outside of NYC, we would all be better off.

Don
  9. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    He gets more negative ink in my NRA magazine than Sahra Brady..:mad: