1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Blowing primers out

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by E-Rez, Aug 29, 2010.

1. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I'm in the process of sighting in a rifle and the last two rounds out of six had the primers blow out. I've been shooting guns for over a decade and have never seen this. Faulty ammo or gun? It's a Savage 114 Classic 270 and I'm using cheap blue box Federals.

[​IMG]
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

look at the way the primer on the bench was cratered. Those 2 rounds experienced a pressure spike and the primer cup gave way. Lucky the primer didnt puncture or you would have been huffing hot gasses:eek:
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Is this a new gun?

Is this the first time using fed ammo?

Do you have a caliper to measure the case and then the overall length of the ammo?

If it is a new gun then there might be something cut wrong at the factory. If not and this is the first time this has happened especially with this ammo then you probably got some ammo loaded too long. I would pull a bullet and measure the case length.

Let us know i am curious. I have had problems with 3 guns in the past and all with fed ammo. I dont use fed any more. I find they like to keep their brass on the long side. Buts that is me. Dont no body get your feeling hurt now.

You need to bring it all to a gun smith. Or call savage and get their word on it also. Regardless do not shoot this again till you find a reason why this happened.
  4. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Thanks for the info guys.

cycloneman - this is a brand new gun with 10 rounds through it. And this isn't the first time I've used Federal ammo. I usually only shoot Federal if its available. I don't own a caliper but my neighbor has one...I already called him and will be taking the gun and ammo to his place after work tomorrow.

JLA - All primers are elevated around the firing pin dent, so the primer is filling the firing pin hole (I think). There is also a little bit of raised brass where the ejector hits the rim - is this a sign that the rim is slamming against the bolt face so hard that the rim gets smashed into the ejector pin hole?

This is some spent brass from the first box I started shooting. I switched from 150 gr to 130 gr after the first four shots.
    [​IMG]

I really hope Savage will make this right...
  5. cycloneman

Dont measure the fired cases. They are going to be longer. You need to rule out the ammo by measuring the unfired case length. You may need to pull some bullets. If in tolerence then you know the problem is with the rifle. I dont think you can send live ammo to savage with the gun. but i would certainly send them the fired cases. I dont recall you saying if it was hard to close the bolt.

Good luck. Nothing but a thing i have been through it before. Must be gettin ready for deer season.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I brought a friend out with his new savage in 308. He too was shooting the inexpensive Federal in 150 soft point. fifth shot had a severe audible change when he fired couldnt find the hole on the paper or even the cardboard backstop. Needless to say I told him to put it aside. Hope Fed is not cranking out bad ammo. Let us know what you find out!
  7. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Cycloneman - Wasn't hard to close the bolt at all. Also, lifting the bolt to extract wasn't any harder than what I've been used to with my other Savage rifle. And I'm ALWAYS getting ready for deer season!
  8. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

312shooter - You have no idea how much I'm hoping its just an ammo problem. I never would have expected an issue like this from Savage. I'd be the one to get the lemon though...
  9. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Oh now dont go so hard on yurself, Every one finds a lemon every now and again. Look at my wife, She found me.:D:p
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Those are all signs of severe pressure, especially the extruded brass. Id say your rifle is handling the pressures well if the cases are the only indicator you had. the blot should have been a little sticky at the least. I would certainly stop shooting that ammo.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Long cases are only one cause of overpressure. if its ammo, the most likely is an overcharge. Or a charge of the wrong powder. I would bet someone at the federal plant isnt paying attention to labels or details...
  12. cycloneman

Your right too. Often times companies will use blended powders only offered to them. Not you and I. I was not really thinking that would be the problem but it could. I have seen and heard of length problems in the past as well as my own experience so i did kinda jump to a conclusion.

I am a betting man and if i had to take a bet between what is at fault, i am goin to put my money on the this ammo. Well see.

JUst on a side note when I come across fed cases made for LC they are almost allways still real short after firing. This is 223 brass i have come across. Remember just what i have come across, this is only my opinion.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  13. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Just a thought, but as this is a NEW rifle, did you give the bore and chamber a good scrubbing before you shot it. Many times they a loaded with grease and crap that needs to be removed before use.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree. I reload, so long cases get trimmed. I have not shot anything factory, besides rimfires, in well over 4 years so I wouldnt be able to vouch forthe quality of the ammo. My money is on the ammo as the problem, either length, or charge. something is wrong. I really dont think its the rifle because the factory tests fires them before they box them for shipment and they would have noticed a problem, especially when they fired the proof loads...
  15. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I left a message with Federal this evening. I can't wait to get a returned phone call tomorrow!

Two other opinions from people who saw the ammo in person also said it was the ammo and not the rifle.