The Firearms Forum banner

blue ugly Marlin 2000

5K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Bigdog57 
#1 ·
Wood Hardwood

See less See more
#7 ·
Haven't stretched her legs too far yet but was able to put 5 CCI standard velocity into one hole at 25 yards. Looks promising with my old eyes likely the weak link in the system. She shoots better than she looks. If the performance is as good as the quick little session would indicate I think the blue might grow on me.

#10 ·
It does kind of remind me of an old elephant joke.

How do you kill an elephant?
With an elephant gun.
How do you kill a blue elephant?
With a blue elephant gun.
How do you kill a pink elephant?
Hold it's nose till it turns blue and use the blue elephant gun.

#12 ·
Get some Eley black box, back off to 50 yds and see what it will do. If it shoots a 5 shot group that you can cover with a dime, you have a winner. If not, you have a really blue rifle.:D

#13 ·
PM me for my address and I will dispose of that unsightly contraption.

#18 ·
I don't think it's ugly at all, for a target style rifle.

Reactions: Big Shrek
#19 ·
Cheated and put a scope on, simmons 22mag...............blue ugly starting to look better.

Results @50 yards
Remington target .52"
Remington sub sonic .35" with flyer .65"
Remington Golden (turd) 1.85"
Aguila super SE .5"
CCI Blazer .95"
CCI Green tag .5"
Eley Club .3"
Eley Target .6"
CCI Mini Mag .75"
CCI Tactical .6" would have been .32" without flyer.
Seems to like everything except the Rem Goldens. I believe it is capable of better with a decent scope( perhaps a better shooter) and a better trigger. Any advice on smoothing the trigger up? Is it something that can be done by a amateur "gun smith" or is it too easy to bugger it all up?:(

#20 ·
I don't know about your rifle, and I don't mess with triggers, but I bought a 1911 a few months ago. The first time I shot it, I started thinking about a trigger job. To break it in, I put 500 rounds through it and about the time I hit that 500th round, the trigger was as smooth as any gun I have. Maybe your rifle needs a few more rounds through it

#21 ·
You may be right.......but this one is weird. I can deal with a heavy trigger, which this is not, but not a inconsistent trigger. I have been shooting a piston air rifle quite a bit lately, talk about a heavy trigger but it's consistent in its let off and you learn to deal with it. This one will let off normal for a few rounds, then kinda heavy, then light......?????

#22 ·
The Marlin trigger on the bolt actions is simple and easy to improve. I did this on my Model 80, 25MN and 17V. Removed and polished the trigger and sear contact areas (do NOT remove metal or change angles!), and installed a softer spring (the old "Pentel Pen Spring Trick" from Rimfire Central). Cheap and effective. Lighter, crisper and far better performance than the stock trigger. And a LOT cheaper than the aftermarket triggers.

#23 ·
On the upside, you can also work in an XT22 pro-fire trigger just like you can on a 25MN ;)

And yeah, find a Biathelon kit if you can,
or you can reverse-engineer it from 25-series or 800/900-series or XT22-series parts...

#25 ·
My vintage BSA Mk.II International came to me wearing an odd metallic blue paint on all metal. Couldn't stand it, and it was badly chipped and worn to boot. I stripped it all and resprayed with Brownell/s Alumahyde II in Semi-gloss Black. Much better!

#26 ·
Put the Nikon EFR target scope on blue ugly, interesting. Most results pretty much the same. Last time out the CCI BLAZERS shot less than an inch at 50, this time a much newer lot almost 2". Surprised that there can be that much difference between lots! The real surprise, pleasant, was the CCI tactical bulk......it out shoots all the high$ stuff in this gun. At 50 yards 5/16". So I decided to see what it would do at 100 yards. As expected it shot about 8" low..........sub 3/4". Seriously thinking about a better trigger. I feel there is potentially better accuracy to be squeezed out of her. Any suggestions that will not break the bank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.