Blunderbuss or blunderbust?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kentuk, Aug 8, 2012.

1. kentuk

kentuk New Member

The fella I got it from snapped it a few times, hence the marks on the frizen. I stupidly asked him if it worked prior to driving over to his place...so he tested it. I'm a bit too afraid to do such unless I really need to prove the point.

My initial gut was it was fake when I first saw it, not knowing a lick about antique flintlocks. However, after looking around and seeing other early hand made, aka crude, examples, this gun seems more plausible. I have a hard time believing someone would go through the effort to make this look as genuinely old as it does. For instance, the metal rivets on the stock are worn down perfectly with the wood surrounding them. Plus, if I were to do a fake I'd go with something a bit more recognizable and valuable. But then again, I have no idea. It is definitely old...but is it 18th, 19th or 20th century old? Could totally be from the 50s and some kid played pirates with it every day of their childhood.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Most of the fakes of those guns have come out of the Near and Middle East or Spain. Most are not functional and were never intended to be, though some use bits and pieces from old guns. As an example, some have the entire cock, including the top jaw and the screw, cast in one piece of brass or iron; obviously, such a contraption could never have been intended to hold a flint.

That gun does look like it was made as a gun, even though it also might have been made from parts of older guns. As to value, I really have no idea. Basically, it was worth (to you) $140; you could probably get that out of it, but I can't see it being worth a lot more.

Jim
  3. kentuk

kentuk New Member

Value isn't too important. Mostly interested in the history. As others have mentioned, if these things could only talk....oh the sights they've seen!

I could be wrong, but the barrel appears to be made of damascus steel...you can see it in the third picture up from the bottom. Is that an indicator of anything significant? Also, another positive is the screws all seem to be hand made.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If the gun is as old as I think, it is of an age when all barrels would have been Damascus and all screws hand made.

Jim
  5. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

Made in Turkey for the tourist trade. Spent a couple of months in the manure pile. They have been making this type of "souvenir" for the past 150 years.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

musketshooter, are you sure you carefully read all of the above posts? The fact that it might be a " Tourist " gun was taken into consideration and discussed. If you use the search feature of this forum you will find a number of of the so called tourist guns, even with out the observations of the very knowledgeable individuals who posted, I also believe it is a well used " real " gun :.:eek: Or are you just posting for the shock value?
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Yeah but this ain't one of them.
  8. kentuk

kentuk New Member

Thank you everyone for your insights! Very helpful and puts a bit of a story to this nice piece of history. I'll stick it on the wall and cheerfully discuss it with friends and family.
  9. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  10. Fullstock

Fullstock New Member

Middle Eastern, but better quality than most.