Boberg XR9-S ~ Now shipping.....

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Laserlips, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

Well..

Never hurts to start a discussion about a new firearm hitting the market, and I could find no mention of the Boberg XR9-S here so I thought I'd just start one.

The Boberg XR9-S is a new, unique 9MM sub-compact that has been under development for the past 8 years or so, and is finally in production and the first batches are being shipped.

For those who have an interest I would recommend a visit to the Boberg site (www.bobergarms.com). You can find out almost anything you need about the new XR9-S.

Boberg advertises the XR9-S is the "World's Most Powerful 9MM pistol", in that it's unusual and unique design allow for a longer barrel in a shorter platform. The result is 25% more "muzzle energy" than any other pocket pistol of it's type.

The Boberg will never win any beauty contests, think "Bulldog" in style. But, the XR9-S is built of top quality materials, and priced accordingly. Think "Rohrbaugh, or Solo" in price. It's a "nitch" pistol, similar to the Rohrbaugh in 9MM and the Seecamp LWS380.

I believe one look at the various video's of the XR9-S, it's unique way of chambering a round and how soft is the recoil, and how accurate it is, will get your attention, or you wouldn't be seen in public with one if it were given to you.

It's that different.

For me personally, (and the good Lord knows I don't need more 9's) I want one, and I want one to the extent I'm on the pre-order list. Along with several hundred other folks.

My understanding is that several gun magazines will be reviewing the new Boberg XR9-S over the Christmas holidays, so if you have an interest, look out for them.

There are many, many very good 9MM pistol options "out there".. (I have a couple myself), and "out there" at a much lower price. I would be the last person to say the Boberg XR9-S is worth two or three times your favorite current 9MM sub-compact choice, but logic has never played much of a role in which guns I happen to love and desire, so it's not a big surprise to my bride that I'm wanting one.. :D

I'm sure most of you will take a look at the new XR9-S, see how it "looks" and how much it "costs", and take a pass. But I'm guessing there might be a few folks here, like myself, who just love guns, and when a new one "calls our name" we just have to have it. ;)

And the Boberg XR9-S IS calling my name....

I'm still a couple of hundred names down the pre-order list, so no telling how long before my name comes up, but when I get mine, I'll test her out, and come back and tell you about it.

Just making conversation.

Jesse

P.S. At least now when you are thumbing through the gun magazines at WalMart while the honey is Christmas shopping and you see an article about the new Boberg XR9-S you'll know what you're looking at.. ;)
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. north tex

north tex Member

I don't care how it looks. The operating system is interesting and I wish them success. But the price is way out of line for me. I will wait and see how it tests out (endurance wise) and for the price to come down to realistic for a 9mm.
  3. aryfrosty

aryfrosty New Member

I had been watching them for a while but had given uip. So, glad you posted this, thanks. For me the price is great. I bought a couple of Sigs last year and then an HK P200sk so the price, to me, is great for what you're getting. I am certainly getting on the list.
  4. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

Sounds great Jesse. How much are they?
  5. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Hmmmmm, I like the CONCEPT. If I were "Mr.Boberg" however, I think I would have utilized the idea even more effectively, by adding another inch to the overall barrel length, and therefore, the overall pistol length, attained even MORE velocity/energy, and had a slightly more saleable (IMHO) appearance. Just me, but the part of a concealment pistol that is BELOW the belt, isnt usually the "problem" with concealment. Its sort of like the 1911 - its really not harder to conceal a Govt than it is a Commander, unless you are using a horizontal shoulder rig. Just MHO. Also, innovative as it is, I'm not sure that its worth a $400 premium over other (LC9, Kahr, etc) competitors. $950 MSRP is a real premium in my opinion.
  6. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

Hi Rhuga:

$950 pre-order price.. Pre-order requires no deposit, nor obligation to the future buyer to purchase if he/she changes their minds, WHEN their names finally reach the top of the list.

I believe there are approximately 700 names on the list now (mines about 450 down from the top).

Current production is less than 80 per mo. (much less right now I believe)...

I like the "ugly" looks of the XR9-S and since several hundred will be in the hands of the earlier buyers (beta-testers?) I believe when my name is called I'll be buying one.

I have encouraged anyone with the least interest to get ON the list as mentioned before all that will do is get their names "in the pot" so to speak.

I also believe that the future price will INCREASE, not decrease with the passage of time as more XR9-S's are in the hands of owners who are satisfied, and after several gun mags give (hopefully) positive reviews.

Frankly the XR9-S will NOT appeal to everyone. The Seecamp LWS380 does not appeal to everyone either, but I have one in my back pocket (in a pocket holster) every time I leave the house.

I think potential buyers who would be looking at the Rohrbaugh's and Kimber Solo's will be attracted to the XR9-S and the unique appearance, unusual feeding method and relatively high price will not be concern.

I love compact, sub-compact 9's for cc... I have a S&W 3913, 3913LS, 6906, HK P2000sk, and a Ruger LC9 already.

So..

I'm not interested in spending a thousand bucks on another sub-compact 9MM pistol because I NEED another firearm, or I think it will do wonderful things my other very good 9's won't do. I'm buying a Boberg XR9-S because I love guns, and this one appeals to me.

No explanation for the logic used by a semi-senile old senior citizen in what he/she wants many a time...

This is one of 'em.. :D

Best Wishes,

Jesse

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

Ya, $950? I could get a compact XD 9mm and 10 boxes of 9mm P+ ammo. I like the design, but not worth nearly $1000.
  8. rogertc1

rogertc1 New Member

Herllo all. I have a jonesing to get a Boberg XR9-S. Anyone have on?.
    I had been watching them as a gun collector and noticed finally quite a few on around. I remember when I lookes last year one went for $2000 on **. Now they are down to $1000.
    Anyone have one...I will buy it anyway because I am an old gun addicted guy.

Thanks

Sorry about opening a year old thread but it was the only one in search.

Thanks
    Roger
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012
  9. rogertc1

rogertc1 New Member

I guess no one has one. I will be the first one in this forum to have one than? I bid.$999.

PS I have abiout every gun out there to begin with. Just another for my collection. Intriguing firearm.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  10. rogertc1

rogertc1 New Member

I ordered a 4.2 " barrel and also red grips plus. The barrel is polished inside and out...sweet.
    Should get my Boberg in the next 2 days...USPS...or longer but it is in Cedar Rapids Ia now. Also ordered somer greeg grips and springs just because. Beings it is my Christmas present I might dess it up in red and green... I'm still excited. Have a OBH coming too.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  11. rogertc1

rogertc1 New Member

Got my Boberg pistol today and 2nd order of accessories (green grips plus). Fast shipping.
    First impression is the very detailed in finish on the all the parts. Perfect. No flaws on machine marks inside or outside the pistol. .Spotlessly clean. Not bad to re-assembe. (I had the guide rod/spring in backwards. OPPS).
  12. Rembrandt

Rembrandt New Member

Got mine a couple weeks ago, magnificent piece of engineering. Accurate and superb fit & finish. Found an Uncle Mikes holster and pocket carry sleeve....looking for something in leather. Unique shape may make that a little difficult.

For those seeking a compact 9mm.....this is a real gem!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. rogertc1

rogertc1 New Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012