Body Armour?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, May 19, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I knew a LEO in the states who told me she kept her soft armour vest by her bed, and that when investigating strange noises in the night, she slipped it on.

Overreaction or common sense? Something to consider investing in for home self defence?
  2. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

She's a LEO and has a different code and lifestyle than we do.
    Just an opinion, but my home is a place where I feel comfortable and secure. Free from thinking about all the violent stupidity that goes on every day. If I have to continually feel the threat in my own home then it stops being a home.
    I have a firearm on all three levels of my home. I don't think about them, but I know they're there if there's a break in. Nobody can be completely prepared every minute of the day. You can't lead a normal life if you're jumpy about eveything around you. The best you can do is to give yourself a reasonable edge wherever you are, but not to the point of letting the bg's very existence shape your everyday life.
    Anyone can be surprised or caught off guard. The best you can do is to not become complacent.
    If it makes you feel safer, then do it. Only you can decide where the lines are between safety, comfort and paranoia.

Latigo
  3. jinn

jinn New Member

I like zf's answer, personally. However, I, too, reside in a very rural area where there is no movement of people or vehicles on our road except in mostly daylight hours, and those invariably are "locals" either heading to church or town.

Still, if the possibility exists of an intruder, presumed armed, entering a domicile so silently as to pose serious and sudden threat, I can understand the ideal proposed. However, will there be adequate time to wriggle into the safety harness? How often will such effort be carried out due to harmless noises present? (we have occasional rodents scurrying about in the ceiling!).

The solution is obvious, though all the more paranoid; never remove the armor!
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

It would all depend on where I live. Out here in the stix of Tennessee if I hear a strange noise 95% of the time it is some Ill fated racoon that is about to meet his or her maker for getting into my garbage can.
  5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Tranter you didn't say whether your female friend lived alone or not. I think that women that live alone tend to be a lot more on the cautious side. She is an LEO and knows first hand the types of violence that are often directed towards women and I don't believe she feels you can be to safe. It is probably a good idea that if she feels she needs to get up to check out the noise armed with a weapon why not put on a vest if you have it available to he?

:) Jeff
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Er....not while I was visiting :eek::eek:
  7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I am in the OTHER end of Tennessee, ten miles from the county seat of the smallest county in the state, a town so big it requires TWO stoplights.
    My gated drive is about 250 yards long, and has a 'beware of dog' sign, along with the gate archway signifying we are breeders of Dobermans. The meter reader does not get out of his truck when he comes here, but blows his horn and I read it and take the numbers out to him.
    Our dog alerts us if someone even slows down on the road out front.

IOW, I don't need body armor.
    But the guy breaking in certainly could use some.
  8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

when i retired from the "field" i swore i'd never wear a vest again. i still have mine it's buried in a trunk in the attic. i can't think of any situation in which i would need it . i am itching to see if the tokarev round will really go through a vest and have been tempted to drag it out to use as a target but since it was a loyal companion of mine for years i think i'll just let it be.
  9. Body armor in the bedroom, an idea whose time has come? :eek::eek::eek: ;):D Well, I do remember this girlfriend I once had in the misspent days of my youth . . . :D;):p
  10. islenos

islenos New Member

I think they are talking bullet proof vest and not chastity belts:D
  11. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Was any other police equipment involved?
    Handcuffs, perhaps?
  12. Come to think of it, she was fond of batons . . . :D;):p
  13. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

*zfk55 slowly turns his back to the wall......... close to the wall.... Verrry close.* [​IMG]

Latigo
  14. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Body Armour only works for body shots. Doesn't do much good for a head shooter.
  15. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I don't think it would be required for normal home defense, but in a SHTF senario it would be a nice item to have.