Boiled beef tongue advice

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Bobitis, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I've done many of these (usually in a brine of pickling spice), but I'm thinking of something different for this weekend.

I smoked a turkey about a week ago, and the gelled stock is in the fridge. I don't know about the rest of you, but I always make stock from the bones and the bits of meat left over.

Here's my idea. When I get home tomorrow, I'll take out the broth and heat it a bit. Then pour the contents through a strainer to separate the meat from the bones and save for pot pies or pasta sauce. :)
    While the broth is cooling, cut up an onion, and mash some garlic. Add a little salt and pepper and the tongue when cooled. The skin and bones from the stock will go back in, add water to cover, and let sit till Sunday. Pull the pot and boil till done in the same mix.

Keep in mind that the turkey is very smokey, but the tongue is... tongue. It has a thick layer of skin on the top that gets peeled and tossed, and the bottom is pretty much open. Should allow a bit of flavor in the meat.

I know that beef in bird broth may be sacrilege, but beef tongue don't really taste beefy anyways.

Your thoughts please. :)
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Thanks Beth. ;)
  4. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

On the last boil, I'd reduce it as far as I could for depth.
    I can taste it...sounds really good.

And yes, mixing stocks works out real well. I use chicken/beef broths together too.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

tongue i am not eating it-no no no
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

You wouldn't know it if I didn't tell ya. :p

Then ya'd want more. :)
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Reduce it 1st, or reduce it at the end? I don't understand. :confused:

My plan is to let it marinate for a couple days in the stock while submerged. Are you saying I should boil the stock down before adding the tongue? Or slow it down at the end of the boil?
  8. raven818

Yep that...
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

You are probably right Bob
  10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's it Bob, I'll be over this weekend for some good cow tounge and ill bring Bieth with me.:D Seriously, I think it will be good.
  11. JoeV

JoeV Active Member

From a food safety point, I never eat or use anything leftover that has been in the fridge more than 4 days. If I'm going to use a stock later, I freeze it then thaw the day I'm going to use it. The remaining stock is tossed after this use, I don't freeze things a second time. JMHO, and I'm living proof that it works. Your mileage may vary.
  12. raven818

We have some very old Ice Cube trays. We make a lot of stock, and freeze it in those, and remove as needed.

I'm with you on leftovers. Three days is my limit. Chicken/fowl/fish, two days. Spooky.
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

My mileage varies. :p

Gotta go pick the bones now.
  14. raven818

Picture, Please. :p
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

:(

Son is in PA visiting his best friend and has the camera.