Boiling Gun

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jmg198, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Jmg198

Jmg198 New Member

Hello,
    The firing pin on my NEF Pardner shotgun hits the primer hard enough sometimes to detonate it and not other times. A friend of the family recommended that I boil the gun for a while and that this might solve the problem. Has anyone heard of the repair technique? Anyone have other suggestions?

I have taken the firing mechanism apart and given it a thorough cleaning and oiled it back up.
  2. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I once boiled an SKS to remove the cosmoline, it rusted almost the moment I pulled it from the water. I don't think I would boil another gun, particularly one with this kind of issue. I think you need a new spring or two.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

boiling is only really used to remove cosmoline and hardened grease that is hard to remove out of small areas such as the firing pin channel. Don't boil your gun, you only boil the parts and I would not boil the parts from a Pardner. Sound like you have some fouling or hardened grease in the pin channel and it needs to be removed. If you know how to remove the firing pin then pull it out clean it, inspect it (make sure its not broken, should have a hemisphere at the tip) clean out the pin channel, pay close attention to the pin hole area, make sure there is no build up of fouling. I think this may be your issue.