The Firearms Forum banner

bolt action 22lr

8K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  huntingbro. 
#1 ·
Looking to get a little info on what might be a good bolt action 22 for around 125-175$ been looking at info and reviews for the mossberg 802.Didnt know if marlin or any others were in that range of price.I know most 22,s are in that price range if i have to go to 200$ would jus dont want to spend more then for one.

#2 ·
I went through that two months ago. There were no new bolt actions for that price (125-175) to be found locally. I know i saw advertised prices in that range (for mossburg and marlins), but they were not in the stores either. Maybe I didn't look hard enough :)

I did find a USED remington 33 at that price that is working out great.

#3 ·
That's it with bolt .22's, check out the local pawn shops. Look for Remington, and Winchester. These will usually be better made guns.

#4 ·
Very lightly used Marlin model 60's are cheaper than your $175.00 top mark and good shooters too, if you can find them.

#5 ·
Probably the best bolt action rimfire available in that price range is the Savage MkII F. I saw this one at Buds for $162. They aren't quite as accurate as the MkII varmint rimfires but they're very good. I love Marlins but I don't think the accuracy is on the same level as the Savages now. I do think that the XT series Marlins make excellent rifles for many reasons but they run around $200. I have the XT-22TR which I love because not only is it a very solidly built rifle and quite accurate but it also shoots shorts or LR's or longs too if you can find any. It holds 25 shorts in the tube which makes for a lot of shooting without reloading. I paid $200 for mine. If you want a rifle that will be around when you aren't this is an excellent choice. Still in your price range I think the Savages are the best choice. Mossberg makes some nice rifles but Savage accuracy has just been excellent in recent years and the AccuTrigger is worth the price of admission alone.

#6 ·
Very lightly used Marlin model 60's are cheaper than your $175.00 top mark and good shooters too, if you can find them.
That's a semi auto, not a bolt action.

#9 ·
You can get a really nice shooter at the pawn shops for around $100!

#10 ·
Just about any Marlin bolt-action will do the trick, Micro-groove barrels are as precise as you can find for regular barrels.

I'd skip over the curved-mag versions from the distant past...while they shoot great, the mags are pricey these days...20/25/80/81/780/781...

Get the straight-stick mag versions...25N, 880/881, 925, 980/981, XT22 are the modern Marlin bolt-actions,
and the 800/900 series stock fits the XT22's, so there are some aftermarket goodies to play with :)

#12 · (Edited)
My 925 isn't all that accurate Shrek old buddy. Savage holds the title of best accuracy for the buck these days. It's not really close in fact. I have a MkII that started life as an FV. Yes it's a varmint model so it was more expensive but not that much more. The regular F models have the same barrel features. They just aren't heavy barrels and every review I see of the MkIIF says they are very close in accuracy to the FV. And believe me I've never seen a Marlin come close to the accuracy of the Savages I own. The Marlins are accurate. They're fine guns too. But the Savages are more accurate. I have both. I have several of each in fact. I don't have a single Marlin that's as accurate as any of the Savages I own.

I certainly wouldn't complain about a Marlin though. They are an excellent choice and IMO they are built better than the Savages. But the accuracy title goes to Savage hands down. That's not to say that Marlins aren't accurate either. I have some that are exceptionally accurate. But again, every Savage I own is more accurate than every Marlin I own. That can't be just luck. I have too many of both to think that. Again it wouldn't stop me from buying a Marlin. The last rimfire I bought was a Marlin bolt action in fact. It was a XT-22TR. It is very accurate. It just isn't as accurate as my Savages.

I've been a Marlin fan since I was a kid in the 60's. I have always loved their rifles probably because I learned to shoot rifles with a 60. But I'm sold on Savages in a big way these days. They just never fail to please.

#13 ·
Current Bud's Gun Shop prices, with shipping:

Savage MkII F $162

Savage MkIIFV $177

Savage MkII G $186
I bought my wife a mark IIF at walmart for $108 and threw on a tasco $30 3-9. at 25 yds it hits same hole consistently. so good at first I thought I had a bunch of fliers:D I use it for backyard squirell dispatching, head shots from 20 yards

#18 · (Edited)
My 1942 Remington 512 for the win. They typically sell for $150 t0 $200 in Pawn Shops across the Country. Very accurate & reliable. Shoots shorts, longs & long rifles without a hitch. It'll hold 15 LR's or 22 shorts it the tubular magazine. They made them from 1940 to about 1965, so there's plenty of them around.

The target is with Federal 550 Bulk Box Ammo at 50 yards.

Attachments

G
#21 ·
Like snake said. You can find Remington 5teen (510,511,512,513,514,521) in your price range. Trigger isn't all that good but they are shooters. Both of mine (511x and 513T) will hold 1" at 100 yards for 5 shots.

#22 ·
Possibly look fer a remington 582 also. They are built like a high power and have a little longer barrel. When we got the rear sight fer mine, afore the front sight bustede I could shoot at 50 yrds a hole that a 12 gauge could slide in. With Iron sights. Will have to look fer the pic. Have a cheap tasco 4 power ($7 at wally worl) and we hit the primer on said 12 gauge shell. The 580 is a single 581 is a mag 10 rnds I think and the 582 is a tube 15 long rifles completely topped off.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/album.php?albumid=572&pictureid=3156

#23 ·
Find an older Mossberg, look for a 46 or a 146. Should be able to do that for under 200. They are as accurate a rifle as any made and 22 are very hard to wear out, like most 22's. They usually came with great sight systems too. Older Remington, Savages, and Winchester's will do well too. And Marlins.

#24 ·
looking around for a new bolt gun myself before long, Savage is looking mighty tempting right now, very good prices and I like their quality, seems to be holding up their good reputation (with me anyway).

If you get a used one and don't know what the bore is truly like or if the gun has headspace issues, you will be out that money. If you buy a new one, you can always hammer the manufacturer until they deliver a solid gun. Just a thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.