Bolt Action Question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by unclearthur, Nov 4, 2007.

1. unclearthur

unclearthur New Member

Hi, I just bought my first gun, a bolt action Ruger 77/22 and I have a question I hope someone can answer for me.

If you want to store the gun with either a lock through the action, or the bolt removed entirely, then how do you do this without leaving the firing pin cocked? Whenever you lift the bolt, the pin cocks. I do not want to 'dry fire' the gun as I understand this damages it.

Thanks for the help.
  2. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Hi
    In most cases if you operate the bolt with the trigger pressed, then the action will not cock

Cheers
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Rugers specifically, but Enfield is right. Most of the time, having the trigger pulled while working the bolt will stop the gun from cocking, and at least sometimes lowering the bolt with the trigger pulled will work as a decocker.
  4. unclearthur

unclearthur New Member

You're all right and thanks but my point is that even if you decock as you describe, when you try to remove the bolt it will automatically cock the firing pin again ....ie to remove the bolt you have to lift it which is what cocks the firing pin. There does not seem to be any way to remove the bolt without leaving it in the cocked position. So the choice for storage ends up being i) leave the bolt in and closed (and decocked) (then cannot use cable lock, etc) or ii) leave the bold cocked while in storage (wear out the springs?) ?

Or am I getting this wrong ?
  5. donhudd

donhudd New Member

With the bolt out of the receiver, hold the forward portion of the bolt and turn the handle down to uncock. You will have to recock with your hands before you can re-insert the bolt into the action.---not worth the trouble in my opinion
  6. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

Leaving the removed bolt in the cocked position is a non problem.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Or how about using a trigger guard lock? I'm kinda assuming unclearthur is asking about locking the gun for storage safety concerns. Can keep the striker spring uncocked and keep the rifle secure.

I'm not a fan of cable locks anyway since they're easily removed with a good side cutter. Come to think of it though, a triggerguard lock isn't that hard to get around either...

The 77/22 has a pretty healthy striker spring and cocking it by hand is quite a chore...I tripped it by mistake while cleaning it once and had a pretty sore thumb getting it back to the cocked position.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

The few bolt guns I own are stored, muzzle down, in a safe, with the bolts removed, and stored elsewhere; kinda makes stearling them an effort in futility, don'tcha think?
    Try and 'sweet talk' Remington into selling you a bolt for a 40-X, and you will understand; their attitude is 'send us the rifle, and maybe we will find you a bolt', and it's always the same!
    By simply removing the bolt, you have (1) rendered the rifle useless, as a weapon, and (2) worthless, to a thief!
    I'm a 'single shot' rifle nut, and these do not always lend themselves to such an easy solution, but several do, and those are stored, breech blocks removed, and relocated, for the same end result.
    My concern is reducing the 'desireability' of theft, for any given arm; if they cannot be sold, for a reasonable price, they likely will not be stolen!
    My kids have full access to my guns, and, from age 6 or so, a lock would have been redundant; they grew up with guns, as now, the grandkids are doing, and afford them the respect, and attention, such things require.
    For them, locks would be an added burden, to put the arm into use;in the few times, in the last forty years, such 'immediate action' has been called for, a lock of any kind would hve been a curse!
    I suggest that education, not locks, is a better answer, to your issue.
    For me, there are weapons 'stashed', around the house, in such a fashion that I am never more than a few feet from one, but remember, I LIKE dogs, and every one on the lot , even the little ones, have an 'attitude', about strangers; they, on request, will 'tolerate' you, but they 'trust' nobody but me; I get a 'heads up' before the knock at my door, every time!
    EG, 'Brandy', my ACD, was a 'rescue' dog, a year ago, afraid of her shadow, then, but never knew a momma, as she was taken, far too young, from the litter, as a 'breeder', and bred hard, and often, from her first 'season'; when we first got together, my job was already 'cut out', for me; I had to be the Bitch, who she never knew. OK, I think I can do that; WRONG! Teaching a dog to 'be a dog' is a job no human should take on; while 'doable', it is more work, and without any guidance, than most will suffer! The saving grace was a most excellent animal, who needed to be taught, then worked, as a dog: she, and I, have made some adjustments, and have 'learned' our roles! She, today, wears a leash, twice a year, to go to the vet; otherwise, there is no need, except his rule!
    She was severely abused, like in beaten, by a right handed man, in her past, and I am a man, and right handed; we have a bridge or two, to cross.
    We are now well past that; she is far more a 'productive citizen', than anyone would have expected; she has become my 'war hammer', and 'protector', on four little 'cat ' feet!
    She goes where I do, off lead, every day, and is as reliable as the sunrise; if I call, she answers!
    Trigger locks, gun locks in general, I am opposed to; far better, to teach the children, about arms, and have one ready, to protect the dogs!

For them, without a dog,or dogs, I feel security my well entail a heavy safe,
    and lots of work; for me, my job has devolved into protecting my dogs, and letting them take Jesus, to the 'would be' lawbreakers!