Bolt Action shotgun ID

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 1 Eyed Jack, May 9, 2012.

1. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Trying to help a friend, he bought a bolt action shotgun with removable clip/magazine at an auction the other day, the way he described it was it was one of those that came from an auto parts, hardware store or the like, think he said it was a Western Field or Western Auto, I'm thinking it's a Mossberg as I don't recall too many shotguns with drop out magazines,

In the last couple of days I thought I saw that someone had posted a cross reference guide that ID's rifles/shotguns, i.e. a Coast to Coast .22 rifle was made by Marlin, etc., etc.,

Anyone recall seeing that? got the post/link?

Thanks in advance,
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

http://www.gun-data.com/sears_roebuck_guns.html

This is a cross-reference for Sears guns. Ain't no help to you with your Western Field (Monkey Wards) or Western Auto, but might be nice to bookmark anyway. May come in handy.

I've got a list saved to a Word document. Don't remember where I got it. Gimme your email and I'll send it to you.
  3. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I have a Stevens bolt action 12 guage with a removable magazine that holds two additional shells. If I get a chance I will post a pic when I get home.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Bolt action shotguns were/are pretty much at the bottom of the feed chain for repeating shotguns. They were made by Marlin, Savage, and Mossburg under their own and trade names. They were not bad guns, though most were rough and hard to use. The big problem with most today is that they are missing magazines and said magazines are nearly impossible to find.

Jim
  5. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Thanks for the replies and link guys, we know its not worth much, he paid $70 at an auction, it has the magazine and it functions, he got what he wanted, a beater shotgun for the truck that functions, I haven't been able to talk to him again or seen a picture yet, but by the description it sounds like a Mossberg,

Thanks for the replies,
  6. terryu1

Here are some pics I just took of my Savage Arms - Stevens Model 58. I did some checking and I found a few used (but not quite as good condition as mine) going for around $60 - $70. I dont think the little better condition of mine will bring any more than that though. I like the gun. It was my very first and I bought it for $25.

Attached Files:

7. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Nice Terry, I like the forearm cap, was it just painted or a different kind of wood kinda like a Weatherby style?
  8. terryu1

Actually the stock was pretty rough and I refinished it and just used some old Johnsons Wax rub instead of any varnish or poly on it. Protects the wood without a big "shine" to it. I just painted the end cap which is kind of the way it was originally. Thanks.
  9. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Mine's a Springfield, got it on my 12th birthday (that would be 1947, I am a certified old fart!) It's in 20 ga. full choke and shoots like a rifle, bet it hasn't had 50 rounds thru it.
  10. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

I had one as a kid 'bout 20yrs ago that was a 20 gauge with an adjustable choke on it. Don't remember make or model you just turned a knob on the end of the barrel. Fun as hell to shoot wish I still had it, but we needed the money when I was in my teens
  11. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

I had a Mossberg with the adjustable "poly choke." I cut the choke off, soldered on a front sight and shot slugs through it. It was amazingly accurate--took several deer with it. My brother and I took turns shooting at an old telephone book--3 shots through the same hold at about 25 yds shooting freehand. Wish I still had it.