bolt cam pin cracked?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tankman, Mar 15, 2012.

1. tankman

tankman New Member

i got my first ar15 (bushmaster 20" heavy barrel) and out of the box it looks like the cam pin might be cracked. also it seems like the gas rings are tighter than they should be when i insert the bolt into the carrier, and maybe to loose around the bolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any ideas?
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If it is a crack. send it back to Bushmaster. I'd just get a kit that has all sorts of parts for your gun and they are cheap. Good to have them around. The rings will loosen up with use.
    Nice pic of the pin but where is the rest of the weapon?? Inquiring minds want to know.;)
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Double Post - Sorry
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Bolt issues like this are somewhat common. Hey, things wear out. You can buy that part and replace it at Brownell's, Midway USA and Cheaper Than Dirt if you want. Many places sell those small parts for AR's these days.

But since the gun is modular and other manufacturer's bolts will drop right in and fit in your Bushmaster with no problems. You may want to invest in obtaining a better quallity bolt for your AR. Rock River, Spikes Tactical and Bravo Company (BCM) are a few that come to mind that make good quality AR bolts. I'm sure there are others too.

It may give you peace of mind to know you have a higher quality bolt in your gun, so it won't fail when you need it the most. :cool:

ETA: I just re-read your original post and realized it's brand new out of the box. In that case I think I would return it to the Manufacturer under warranty for replacement. I'm not sure that's a crack or potential crack though. I still think I'd invest in a better quality bolt anyway. Having a spare might be a good thing. I have a bolt spare parts and repair kit for mine in case something wears out and breaks.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Im not fully convinced thats a crack. Looks more like a wear mark were the carrier cams over the pin. I'd just get a replacement pin and while your at it get some of those singe piece gas rings. I've seen some bolt heads that were tight bc of the rings but the gun still worked just fine.
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

That is not a crack. Like helix said, that is just a mark made from the bolt carrier. All the rifles at work have a similar mark(Rock River, colt and smith). Our cam pins have a smoother finish, but otherwise look the same. If it bothers you, get another one, but it is likely to have the same thing or develop one quickly.
  7. tankman

tankman New Member

how many cycles does it take to create a wear mark like that though? new. not new. which one is it, its got me wondering.