1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Bolt Cleaning

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dianalv, Sep 10, 2009.

1. dianalv

dianalv New Member

What do you recommend for cleaning a bolt? I loaned one of my guns to a friend, who diligently cleaned it after, but used gun grease on the bolt, which caused the bolt to heat up and lock up when I next shot the gun, causing some discoloration on the bolt. :eek:

Never had that happen before, so could use some help.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

standard spray cleaners should remove the grease no problem. I like break free spray cleaner but you can also use stuff as simple as simple green or Purple Power. Just rinse with water and dry. Coat with barracade or other light preserving oil then wipe off with a clean towel. Depending on the severity of the discoloration most of it can be removed with a light polishing compound.
  3. wabryan1

wabryan1 New Member

Did the dis-coloration disappear? You might try an oil bsed fluid, brass wool and elbow grease.
    Loved your blond jokes. What a riot.
  4. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Break free is a good one as it lubes as well as cleans, gun scrubber is another, it does not lube. I won't use grease, it attracts dirt. Only gun oil, and very little at that.
  5. dianalv

dianalv New Member

The Break Free worked great in getting rid of the gun grease, but the discoloration is still there, unfortunately. So, brass wool, elbow grease and something like a synthetic gun oil for a lubricant, maybe? Or Krud Kutter? That works great on my antique stainless steel coffee pots in removing cooked on stains and discolorations and it takes very little elbow grease. I don't want to scratch up the bolt, but that discoloration is ugly in what was a mint condition collector's gun. Think I'm going to get a lot stingier with my guns if this is the result of loaning them out. The person was well intentioned, but...... :confused:

Thanks for the help, guys.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

post a picture if you can of the discoloration. The excessive heat may have caused a tempering process called slipshod. Usually it turns gold or purple but the grease it just turned gray or black. Slipshod can be removed with a buffer but so will the rest of the finish.
  7. dianalv

dianalv New Member

It's a gray color. I've got to get batteries for the camera but I'll post a picture as soon as I can. Thanks.