Bolt face

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Zednut, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Zednut

Zednut New Member

Question in regards to the machined depth on a 22 LR bolts' face. I measure a depth of .044-.050 on varios semi autos, obviously these need to be on the plus side of max rim thicknesses. However, several bolt action 22's Ive measured show a more shallow depth of .035-.038, which would generally be under the minimum thicknesses of rims. I would assume then that there is a small space between the breech face and the bolt face when the bolt is locked in, or else the rim would get crushed. Are bolt actions purposely built this way and is this advantageous for some reason?
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I suspect the semi-autos have more headspace to prevent slamfires. Some bolt .22's, including a Remington 511 I have, will fire if the bolt is closed hard due to the tight headspace (no, not the sear - the firing pin remains cocked). Ideally, tight headspace is good and increases uniformity and accuracy, but the makers don't want their semis going full auto.

Jim
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I think Jim nailed it. It makes sense.