Bolting down press or c-clamps?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WildcatFan, Dec 25, 2009.

1. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

How do I go here? I like having a designated area, but would like to be able to break down easily if needed. Are c-clamps sufficient for bunches of rounds, or will I have to retighten every 50 rounds?
  2. cakes

cakes New Member

I have a heavy duty workbench top. I drilled a few holes through the workbench. I use bolts with wing nuts to mount them while I load, then put them away when not loading. I think if you ask 10 reloaders you will get seven or eight different ways that they mount their presses.

If I had more room, I would mount all of my presses permanently.
  3. myg30

myg30 Member

I bolted my presses to a 3/4" ply wood square which I clamp to the bench with two clamps 90' apart. 3 clamps would be better. The board gives more surface area and no trouble here. My bench is small. You can always use wing nuts to remove quickly if bolting is your choise.
    My trimmer is also on a clamp base.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I use a clamp similar to the standard C clamps, but it has 2 feet on it, a V clamp. I found them at HD, Husky brand. Done many many rounds and never had to retighten. I prefer to clamp; organizing and set up is simple and fast. Press is bolted to a 2x6.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I use 3/8"carriage bolts to fasten down my presses. I've always got a 9/16" handy for the burrs, but wingnuts will work just fine too.
    When I need more bench space and remove either press, the Carriage bolts just barely bump above the bench to but don't get lost either. I suppose I could countersink them so they drop below the surface too...but so far it works just fine.

On our sausage stuffer, we've got it fastened down to a double-3/4" plywood spreader plate that we clamp down to another bench with C-clamps. This works just fine too...and I don't see why it wouldn't work for a reloading press either.
  6. Freebore

Freebore New Member

My choice is to use a hardwood base and "C" clamps, this allows quick changes of presses, trimmers, etc. without the hassle of un-bolting. Also, as your loading bench and equipment evolve, it won't end up looking like swiss cheese.

Just my thoughts..... see pic

Attached Files:

7. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

Wow, Freebore, looks great! C'mon and do mine like that downstairs. I'll put on some ham-n-beans and cornbread, sweet tea. See ya' in, what, an hour?

Thanks, all, for the input.
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I see that you do wordworking. Looking at your very nice bench gives me ideas. Time to break out the drill press and the forstner bits. I have a bunch of walnut to use up.