Boomstick Insurance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doubleclutch, Aug 13, 2011.

1. doubleclutch

doubleclutch New Member

N.E. Georgia,U.S., Third rock from the sun
    I inherited quite a collection recently and was wondering if any of you can reccomend a quality insurance company that offers above and beyond what regular homeowners insurance can cover.
    According to my research most homeowners policies are very limited on gun coverage, averaging maybe two grand for all gun loss unless you have extra coverage.
    Many thanks and have a great weekend.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I would think that the first thing you need to do is get that collection appraised. That way you will know how much insurance to purchase. I can't recomend any of the Co's out there right now, my insurance works a little different. I have a set amount on the house, and a set amount on the contents.
  3. doubleclutch

doubleclutch New Member

That may be a great idea, upping the contents coverage without even listing the guns.
    Maybe that could keep my costs lower as well.
    Thanks!!
  4. carver

carver Moderator

We use State Farm, they will write you a policy on the value of the home (set it high), and on the contents (set it high). For example; I have $150K on the home, and $100K on the contents.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. doubleclutch

doubleclutch New Member

My home is with State Farm as well. I just trust the advice of TFF more than some insurance salesman, even though our guy has a great reputation.
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Most home owners policies will let you raise the gun coverage to any amount you want for a very reasonable additional cost. Some want a list of the guns and some don't. I have State Farm and they didn't ask for a list, I just picked an amount of additional coverage. A friend has Nationwide and they wanted a list. I keep an inventory with data and photos updated and safely stored.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

Good idea. I don't have mine invetoried, nor do I have pics. If they get mine they won't have anything except cheap guns. I do have two that are collectable, but the Ins. Co. will pay the amount I have chosen for contents up to $100K
  8. geds

geds New Member

I highly recommend investing in a fire resistant safe and give yourself some extra room to keep family heirlooms, photos, etc. that are not replaceable inside it too. It'll save you on safe deposit box rental, is more convenient, and you may get a break on insurance. You could certainly lower the amount of extra premium you pay by only insuring a few of the more pricy collectible pieces and take the risk (which would be very low) for the rest.

The money you save in premiums would go a long way toward paying for the safe. Make sure it is fire resistant, as most damage in a fire is from smoke and water damage. A gun cabinet will only protect against thieves, hence they cost much less.
  9. doubleclutch

doubleclutch New Member

I looked into safes and for the money I can have a 6 by 8 or so saferoom ( poured concrete block, rebar 1/4 inch steel plate ceiling, etc..) large enough to hold our collectibles and us in case of bad weather.
    The door is gonna be the biggest expense, just gotta get more input from a coupla locksmiths.
    The saferoom seemed to be the way to go for our needs.
    Thanks for all the great ideas.
  10. geds

geds New Member

The local news last night announced that FEMA has a plan out now where they are picking up the tab up to $4000 for the cost of a safe room, whether or not you were impacted by this year's tornadoes. Info is on the FEMA website. Might be worth a visit to see.

What you put inside the safe room is none of their business!
  11. BillM

BillM Active Member

Check with the local security companies and industrial vault installers and
    building wreckers. Tell them you are looking for a door--might take a while.
    I picked up a Diebold Class A security, 2 hr fire rated vault door for $200.
    Came from a records vault at a local college that was doing a remodel.

1950's era, works great. Built a reinforced 6ftx8ft block vault, steel top.
    Lined it with 1" of sheetrock. Only problem---It's full. Should have made
    it 8'x12':)
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Hey Bill. I'd bet that if it were 8x12, it would still be full.:p
  13. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i don't think i would accept anything from FEMA, the longer you stay off their radar the safer you are.
  14. doubleclutch

doubleclutch New Member

Amen! Four grand would build a heckuva saferoom, but the less they know the better.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  15. HunterAlpha1

yeah, cuz the first thing they would wonder is, "what does he have in there", and it goes downhill from there.
  16. geds

geds New Member

FEMA's safe rooms are intended for use as tornado shelters. I don't think they are looking for store rooms.
  17. doubleclutch

doubleclutch New Member

when it gets to that point we ALL will be going downhill-fast.
    Kinda like that old saying," when it's time to bury your guns it's well past time to use them."
  18. doubleclutch

doubleclutch New Member

True, but i didn't even apply for building permits while doing a structural remodeling and rebuilding of my entire house.
    I'm just not comfortable involving any govt agency in my affairs more than need be.
    It is a great idea- just not for me.
  19. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I misread the title of this thread as "Broomstick insurance".

I expected to find out about a new policy Nancy Pilosi had taken out on her personal transportation - -
  20. HunterAlpha1

there is nothing i can say to make this funnier, but because i'm trying to raise my post count so i can enter more giveaways i went ahead and said something anyway:na-na: