Bore Cleaning Info

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Neverhome, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

I will be sighting in my first BP rifle this weekend. This is my first time shooting BP (actually 777) and from what I have picked up on this forum it is recommend to clean the bore after several shots. Is it necessary to remove the breech plug to do this or is a quick bore cleaner patch down the barrel adequate? Rifle is an in line Traditions Pursuit.

All advise is appreciated.

Neverhome
  2. Glockgod

Glockgod New Member

When shooting at the range I use a T/C pre-moistened cleaning patch to keep the crud down every 2-3 shots or so.
    After you are finished for the day it's necessary to clean your muzzleloader no matter what you use for powder. No need to make it rocket science-I use very hot( I bring mine to a boil) water. Squirt a little dishwashing detergent in a plastic bucket, dump in some hot water, stick the barrel into it and swab away. I let the breech plug soak in the bucket while I'm cleaning the barrel. Dry with a few patches and follow up with the rust preventitive of your choice.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

There are a lot of good solutions for cleaning between shots, where you just run a wet patch or two down the bore and keep shooting...

I happen to use Hodgon "Spitbath." not necessarily because it's better than any other, but just that it was the first such solution I happened to buy after I bought my first muzzleloader about 15 years ago and it did the job so I stick with it.;):p
  4. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Thanks for the replys. I always clean my firearms after every day of use
    but what I would like to know is do I have to remove the breech plug every three shots or is it suffiicent to just run a swap down the barrel?

Thanks,:)

Neverhome
  5. Glockgod

Glockgod New Member

No need to remove the breech plug at the range(till you forget the powder:D) just wet patch the bore and follow with a dry one. Warning-Muzzleloaders are an addiction. Hope there isn't any cure!
    PS- Don't forget a little Nevr-Sieze on the breech plug threads when reassembling!
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  6. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Thanks Glockgod. I hope I am addicted. Both of my sons will be also shooting smoke poles for their first time this weekend as well as myself. We have all been hunting together since they were kids (now 33 and 30)and I can think of no better way to spend a day than hunting or at the range with them.

Neverhome
  7. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Thanks Glockgod. I hope I become addicted too. Both of my sons (33 and 30) will be with me and it is our first BP shoot. We have been hunting and shooting together since they were old enough to carry a gun and I cannot think of a better way to spend a day than hunting or at the range with them.

Neverhome
  8. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

OOOPS. Didn't think the first reply took.
    Neverhome
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

It's not necessary to remove the plug, in fact on many sidelocks and flintlocks the breechplug is either solid or not removable easily...so are rarely or never removed even when thoroughly cleaning.

In fact they make breech face brushes for the ramrod for cleaning fouling from it, from the muzzle.
  10. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Thanks for the reply Polishshooter. I am looking forward to this weekend for my first go round with BP.

Neverhome
  11. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Well, went to the range today for my first BP shoot. What a blast. (pun intended). I was surprised by the out of the box accuracy of the gun and how simple it is to operate. I think it is safe to say that both I and my two sons are hooked on BP.

Neverhome
  12. omeratwood

omeratwood New Member

I found that American Pioneer powder to fire 100 rounds without ever cleaning, and at the end of the day, two runs of a cleaning rod and it's clean. No water, no bore-scrub, just a little solvent like you would a smokeless pwder firearm, and it's a good as new!

Cost a little more and FFFG looks a little course, but shoots equal to BP only clean!
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Yes, I do. :D

Pops
  14. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    4-H Shooting Sports has one of the best between shot cleaning formulas I have ever seen. I found out about it when I became a BP 4-H coach.
    Equal parts of Hydrogen Pyroxide, rubbing alcohol, and Murphy's Oil soap mixed together and swab between each shot. The alcohol lets it dry quick, the pyroxide boils the BP resdue, and the oil soap puts some oil back in the bore as well as helps clean the bore. Works great.