Boresighting

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

bg
    (1/6/02 3:19:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Could use some help with bore sights and zeros
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've posted regarding my mini-14 and here's one more;I
    took it to the range to zero a new scope.It shot all over the
    place.This is a ranch model with Millet high angle-lock rings.
    These rings have a wide wind adjustment.At another site I
    visit,a member suggested I get a straight dowel 1"x3' install
    in place of my scope with the dowel over hanging the muzzle.
    This way I will get an idea where I'm at.This rifle has a new
    Shilen heavy barrel,new scope,rings and custom stock.It
    has always shot pretty good till I messed with it.I'm hoping
    someone here can give suggestions or advise on a bore sight
    kit,or if I even need one.I clean this rifle from the breech to
    muzzle with a Otis kit.I also remove the scope to clean the
    innards of the receiver and I remove the bolt for service,
    so I'll need to zero each time I think.Any help, with my thanks
    in advance.

i

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/6/02 6:05:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Could use some help with bore sights and zeros
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That dowel suggestion might give you an idea if your scope is aligned parallel to the bore but is useless for boresighting.

First, make sure your riings are correctly installed and are tight to the receiver. Then make sure your scope is correctly mounted into the rings and securely tightened. Any commercial boresighter/collimator will work, if you dont have one most ranges will boresight the rifle for you for a couple of bucks. Use the windage adjustment on the rings for gross correction and save the scope adjustment for the precise stuff.

I question your practice of removing the scope every time you clean the gun. You will have to rezero the rifle every time with your current setup, and that's going to get real old real fast. Is it so low that it interferes with bolt removal?
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

gun runner john
    (1/6/02 10:14:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Could use some help with bore sights and zeros
    I do a cheap zero of my bolt action rifles by removing the bolt and just sighting 100 yards or so through the bore at my "target", anything distinctive out my window. I then zero the scope to the same point. This normally gets me on the paper the first time, so I can zero it from there at the range. You can't really hope to get a real zero without firing the gun as a rule.

I'm with AntiqueDr on the bolt removal, if the rings are too low to allow you to remove the bolt without removing the scope, I'd consider higher rings!

AntiqueDr
    (1/6/02 10:18:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Could use some help with bore sights and zeros
    That's exactly how I "quick boresight" my bolt-actions, too. Might be tough on a Mini-14, though... :)

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

JohnRTal
    (1/6/02 2:53:47 pm)
    Here is my nickle's worth. Put the old scope back on and shoot it. If that solves the problem, then its your new scope. Before doing this make sure all the screws are tight, rings, bases, guard screws, etc. you know the drill. If it still won't shoot like before or hopefully better, it sounds like the bedding is not correct. Best of luck!!!

bg
    (1/6/02 6:16:55 pm)
    No the scope when mounted does indeed allow me to access
    the bolt and I can also reinstall it without removing said
    scope.And you are right it does get old really quick just pulling
    the scope from the rings.I'll try your suggestion and keep it
    on.I don't know why I took it off to clean,I guess just a matter
    of habit with the Ruger factory rings that had to be removed
    to get at the bolt when I was using them.Thanks to all.

Edited by: bg at: 1/6/02 6:18:56 pm

kdub01
    (1/6/02 6:37:41 pm)
    BG -

You've received excellent advice from above members.

Keep in mind, if the scope sits high over the bore, it's harder to get zero'd. Most scopes are about 1.25", center of bore to center of scope. If yours is higher, you have to take that into account.

Be sure to start your sighting-in at 25 yds on a target frame large enough to accomodate any gross error in alignment. Get the shots centered dead-on at 25 yds, then you can move to 100 yds for finer adjustment.

A laser bore sighter that fits into the chamber with compensating muzzle adapter, or one that will align properly when installed at the muzzle would probably be the best bore sighter in your case, since you can't see thru the bore from the breech. Just remember, these devices are approximate sighting-in tools, no matter what the manufacturers literature tells you! I have several different types of bore sighter aids, but none of them beat the old eyeball thru the bore system!