Bought a brick of American Eagle 22LRs...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Albtraum, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Saw a red box I've never seen before, it was made by Federal, I thought I'd give them a try, so I bought that box as well as my favorite, tried and true CCI Blazers. The American Eagle Federal box had 400 rounds and was $19.99. Blazers box, 525 rnds for $19.99.

Got home and opened up the box... huge disappointment. As I pulled out the nice little tray I noticed that some of the brass was discolored and had blemishes. :confused: Then I pull out a round and examine the bullet. Even worse, the copper plating is TERRIBLE. There are pits where you see lead showing, and little dents and scratches on every single bullet. They also have the wax lubricant which is sloppy and some of the hollow points are filled with it. Then, I gave a little tug on the bullets, and they wiggle, and turn if I give them a little twist, they sit loosely on the brass cases. :mad: I seriously cannot believe there can be bullets manufactured with such low quality and inconsistencies, and they weren't even a bargain... I could have gotten a 500rnd box of Remington Thunderbolts for a few bucks less and even those are made much better than these American Eagle Federals. I thought I'd try out something new and this is what I see.. guess I'll stick with the Blazers and Mini-Mags.
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Attached below is a review that someone did on the accuracy of numerous different .22lr ammo in his rifle. The American Eagle was some of the most accurate ammo he shot in his gun. The CCI Blazer on the other hand, was very inaccurate and shot some of his worst groups.

I wouldn't give up on it until you've shot it in your rifle and see how it likes it.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254409
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  3. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Active Member

I stick with Federal Champions and they all move in the case. I have tried Remington GBs, Win. 333s and Wildcats... all moved in the case. It isn't a defect. Never shot American Eagles. Question isn't how do they look in the box though. It is how well do they shoot. Try them out first.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Ditto try them first. They haven't been any worse or any better then all my other types of ammo. My .357 and 45 ACP like them and they are good enough in my 44 mag that I have used them for deer hunting. I prefer JSP for hunting bullets and these were JHP but they worked.

On a good day with nice light and no wind using the 38 gr hp American Eagle I shot a 1.6" 5 shot group out of my 10/22 rifle with the Green mountain match bull barrel rifle at 100 yards. Only my Win T22 and Win super X 40 gr solid bullets did better that day.
  5. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I was so dissapointed with a American Eagle brick of 22's I brought them back for a refund after shooting a 100 rounds of them to (Big-5 sporting goods) and they gave me my money back.I used the refund to buy CCI-Blazers.One of them exploded and the bullets were not straight and they jammed all the guns I tried to use them in.
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I havent tried out the new ammo you've descibed, for the fact I havent seen any locally.
    One thing I have found out about the CCI Blazers, is that with the bulk packs, my groups and accuracy went to heck and back. But, with the 500rnd CCI Blazers, some of the better Ive shot!
    JLA did a test and posted it here in the forum:

http://thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=90400 ;)
  7. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I never had any complaints with American Eagle ammo, it's on a level with any other Federal rim fire round.
  8. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Active Member

Interesting.
  9. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

I used to shoot 308 american eagle rounds and understood them to be a less expensive line of federal. If you want to avoid crappy ammo, the worst IMHO is remington.
  10. ksblazer

ksblazer New Member

I'm kinda suprised to hear this about American Eagle .22's. I own a few .22's and never noticed any issues that I haven't had with any other cheap .22 ammo that I own.

I just bought a few boxes from the sporting goods store a couple of days ago and took a look at it.

The .38gr HP's copper looks a little tarnished but they are not loose at all.

The 40gr lead seems to look fine and are not loose either.

I avoid remington ammo as well. Their quality control has really went downhill.:bleh:
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I have several bricks and they look fine.

I like to keep a variety of .22 ammo. Wolf, Aguila, CCI, Fiocchi, etc.
    Remmington will never (dis)grace any of me .22s. :bleh:

No two .22s will like the same ammo, so ya need to find out what shoots best in any given rifle.
  12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Someone doing a ammo test on brands of .22 lr ammo is fine for his rifle . It more than likely is not worth a poop for another rifle just like it when dealing with cheap ammo. You just have to try a few and see if any fit the bill for what you except them to do.
  13. G-Mann

G-Mann Member

It must be noted that even though a brand of ammo cycles well in a semi automatic rifle. It may also not be very accurate as well. I consider myself very lucky in terms of what my rifle likes. I have found that it cycles well with good accuracy using the Federal Champion 510, Federal lightning 510b, and the CCI Blazers. Others have not done so well.
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Well said.
  15. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Never had a problem with the ones I've bought. Always shot fine.
  16. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Have shot several boxes of .38 spcl, my wife used a box to qualify with, brass looked brand new to me........