Bought a HiPoint 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Insulation Tim, May 22, 2009.

1. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know, I know, I know....cheap POS.

I was at the range last evening shooting my Kimber 45 with my reloads and started talking to the guy next to me. He was a former Army Gun Tech. I mentioned to him how much I enjoyed my Kimber; and how disappointed I was in my 9mm Glock 19. I can't shoot a hoot with it.

He said try this and handed me a HiPoint 9mm and without even trying, I shot cloverleafs at the 7 yard targets. I can't seem to do that with my Glock and generally spend all of my time on the 25 yard course with my 45.

I was so wowed at how well this pistol shot and how good it felt in my hand that I raced to buy one this evening. $ 159 NEW in Box.

Reality will hit tomorrow, if the rain holds off, as I'll give it a real workout at the 25 yard range.

Report to follow.
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have said it onece before and I know I will take some grief for it but I hate a glock. I would rather shoot a high point. Besides the new High points are not that bad a firearm. They are value priced, thay are accurate, and they have a lifetime warrenty. What more can you want. I have shot glocks and I will go with something else every time.
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I have 2 Hi-points one in 380 and one in 40s+w I know they are suposed to be POS's but you know they are great shooting guns and I didnt pay hardly squat for them.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Its easier for a Glock shooter to learn to shoot a single action that it is for someone who learned on single actions to learn the glock trigger. I've allways admitted that publicly. It does take some getting used to.

I've heard those high points make great plinkers. But the local gunshop was a brand of pistols i don't remember the brand but they have 9mm, 40, and 45acp pistols "new" that are full size and factory comped and they are priced in the $300 range. That's hard to beat. And also CZ pistols in 9mm and 40 can be bought new for arround $480 to $525.

I guess there are all kinds of affordable pieces out there. High Points are ok i guess.

mike
    gn
  5. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Glock you purchase all sorts of firearms, I would like to invite you to go out to a shop with an indoor range and fire a highpoint. I would advise the 40 or the 45 though, the 380 seems a bit bulky to me. I think you might find that for the money you cant beat em. Try it, might make a believer out of ya. Make shure its a new one though, the early models were less than desireable.
  6. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I like my Hi Point C9. It shoots good and I haven't had any problems with it. I like to take it to the range and blow through a box or two of 9mm target ammo. It isn't as pretty as some pistols and I don't like the safety but overall it is a pretty good gun. I like my Ruger P89 better but I paid twice as much for it as I did for the Hi Point so I expect a little more out of it.
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I owned a high point 9mm carbine rifle. It was reliable and fun. I'm not tring to knock high point pistols... i just know from experience that just a little bit more money and you can really increase the fun factor. Most gunshops have used 9mm pistols that are generic versions of the browning high power and such that you can buy used for as little as $225 and are actually really good guns. Good enough to use for home defense...

mike
    gn
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I put the 9mm in the same catagory as the 380, well in the highpoints any way. Thats why I said the 40 or the 45. It seems they put more refinement in the larger size, well thats they way it felt anyway.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

If it functioned reliably and i could hit some bullseyes.... yeah, i might be a fan. If it shot better than the Dan Wesson... sure.

I'm not sure its all the dan wessons fault. I need dual vision glasses and it needs better rear sights.... AND BETTER MAGAZINES!!!! Those dan wesson mags are cr*p. There is no substitute for Wilson mags...

Back on the high point... i did notice today that they are putting those high visibility red pin sights on the high point pistols. For bad eyes like mine that might be a plus?
    If i was going to get another high point i would buy another carbine though. That thing was fun!

mike
    gn
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've had 2 of the C9s. The only complaint I have been able to make is that Daughter-in-law won't give back the one I loaned to her.

Ugly? In the eye of the beholder. Heavy? My every day carry is either a P85 or a Dan Wesson .357 with 6 inch barrel. Reliable? The only problem I had was the base plates coming off the early magazines. I worked with the head /smith at HiPoint and they put a clip in the base plate, as I had done to all of mine. Slide too bulky? It's a blowback action and that heavy slide soaks up a LOT of recoil.

I'd buy another. I'd buy the carbine, if they would make a .357.

Pops
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I'd settle for a 45acp carbine... That would make a sweet plinker.

mike
    gn
  12. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I havent any 1st hand experience with Hi-point. My son-inlaw has a 45 and he likes it. The price one pays for their firearms is no consequence to me. I dont bash other peoples firearms. To me it is akin to trash talkin a persons wife or mother. Maybe someday I will have a Hi-Point just for the heck of it. I dont know. Perhaps a carbine?

:) Jeff
  13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

when i took my ccw class, there was a feller there that had some fingers wrapped up. i asked him of it, he told me he was shooting a hi point carbine. and something to the affect of the bbl burst right where his left hand had been. i didnt ask if there had been a plug in the bbl. best i recall though it hadn't been on the first shot, so it would have had to have been a round not leaving the bbl if that was the case.

~john
  14. turbo daddy

turbo daddy New Member

I have a 40 s&w high point and never had a problem yet. also for self defence if you got no bullets its heavy enough to use as a club.
  15. Bmaynard

Bmaynard New Member

I have a Hi-point in 40 s&w and its great for plinking and just having something to shoot when your bored to death. I also have the carbine in 40 so the clips are interchangable. and relaoding is easier since i only have to have the same dies.
    I have used a glock before and really dont like th trigger pull and my custom .45 beats them both. But for affordability and for home protection a Hi-point is great and like the guy said if ya run out of ammo then threw it at the guy.