Bought a Kimber Today

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Insulation Tim, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have always liked the 1911, a throwback to my days in MP School at Fort Benning 40 years ago, though never owned one.

About 3 months ago I purchased a RIA 5" 1911 and have always had feeding issues. It went back to the GunSmith at Gander Mountain who had it for a couple of weeks. Claimed it worked great now. Very quickly it started to FTF, generally on the first bullet (Factory 230gr FMJ) so every time I cleaned it I filed down the ramp a nudge and polished in with Flitz. It has slowly gotten better, but not to the point that I would ever trust my life to it.

I found a NIB Kimber Custom II today on sale at the gun shop for $ 699. They took it apart and inspected, cleaned and oiled it for me as I said I was hoping to stop at the range to shoot it.

What a dream. It feeds flawlessly as I put about 125 rounds through it. The feel is great. I'm now sorry that I spent the $ 500 on the RIA 1911 at Gander.....but live AND LEARN.

I suspect that I'll be a Kimber fan for life.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Pictures?

mike
    gn
  3. colt

colt New Member

Thanks for the info, thinking Kimber my next weapon of choice.
  4. Insulation Tim

Attached Files:

5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Outstanding Tim! That is a nice looking 1911 you have there. Regarding the RIA did you try a different magazine in it. I have noticed most anytime some one has trouble with a 1911 feeding the 1st thing asked is if you have tried another magazine.
  6. Insulation Tim

I did, at least those that I could find that fit. The RIA magazine fell APART after a month or so...the bottom cracked and blew out. I tried two types of Kimbers as well as a Chip McCormick Power Mag, all to no avail. It is interesting in that the jam up always seemed to occur with the first cartridge in the magazine.

I shot Winchester White, CCI Blazer and Speer Lawman. All FMJ with similar results.

Ironically, it seemed to be a quite accurate gun, certainly more so than my Glock 19 and SA XD 45.

I'm going to keep tinkering with it and may get it to the point that it works fine.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

Tim, if that is a picture of the gun you actually bought for $699.00, that is well below cost. That is a very nice gun and the only thing I can see wrong with it is you found and I didn't. :D A like gun by Wilson will set you back $4K and it won't shoot any better. I have both just because I can and for my money the Kimber cannot be beat.

Ron