Bought a new shotgun today.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by ryan42, May 31, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

1 oz of #8 will crush just about anything at the skeet/trap range, I use it for skeet, wobble, 5 stand and trap even. 1 1/8 is great too but more recoil.

I bought a stoeger side by side a few years ago, not a bad gun; the only drawbacks as a defensive shotgun is that it has separate triggers and goes back on safe after reloading. also, most side by sides have a modified and full choke barrels in them (fixed). first shot is mod and second is full. (or something similar, skeet/mod, etc...)
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum from across the pond, Rockyja. This is a great place. Browse around, join in the chat and have fun. The people here are awesome.
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Wrong link!
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  4. bobski

bobski Former Guest

a stoeger coach is pure kick. if you plan on using it a lot, you may want to save up for a doctor visit.
  5. 22to12gauge

22to12gauge Former Guest

Congrats on the new shotgun.

I have learned that how one shoulders the shotgun is important to recoil. It is important to have the butt in the perfect place as opposed to the size of the shooter. My uncles were linebackers in college and I can handle 12 gauge slugs better than they can. They have atleast a good 50 lbs on me.
  6. bobski

bobski Former Guest

all the proper shouldering wont help a gun thats light and designed poorly. and add to it, improper choice of shell.
  7. USP 45

USP 45 New Member

I hunt w a pump but all my skeet shooting is done w auto. Baretta 391 Parallel Tgt. Pumps just pound the shoulder - mounting will not help. Proper fit helps you hit more birds. Stock design, gun weight, modern recoil pads, are all factors.

Enlongated forcing cones, mercury weights, barrel & choke tube porting are more controversial but generally accepted as recoil reducers.
  8. bobski

bobski Former Guest

:Dlets ask bacon buddy what he thinks of pumps after 10 boxes of shotshells!