1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Bought a Redhawk yesterday!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bluesea112, Nov 18, 2007.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I finally found a Redhawk .44 mag for the right price on Gunsamerica and bought it. It has only been 24 hours since I put a FFL copy in the mail, and it already seems like I have been waiting a decade. Waiting 7 - 10 days for the gun to arrive in the mail might just kill me!

This is my first .44 mag, and I have never fired one. I have owned several .357 mags, but I hear that the .44 mag recoil does not compare.

Should I add a set of Hogue rubber grips to absorb some of the vibration, or is the .44 recoil exagerated?

Thanks, in advance, for your comments.

Bluesea112
  2. The .44 Magnum indeed has a stout recoil with full-power loads, but it is quite manageable with a bit of practice. In other words, it lets you know it is there, but you needn't be fearful of it, especially if you are used to firing a .357 Mag. Rubber grips do help a lot if you intend to shoot the revolver repeatedly at one range session. What I often do is fire a few full-power loads (until my hand starts to hurt!), then switch over to .44 Special loads (which are fine in the .44 Mag, just as .38 Specials work fine in a .357). If you handload, you can also download the ammo for practice. I often do.
  3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Thank you for the information. Yes, I do handload. That is the only way I can afford to shoot. I had not even thought about loading to .44 special specs. That is a great idea.

Thanks again for the reply.
  4. wuluf

wuluf New Member

I got the 4" Redhawk a few weeks ago and have shot it at two range sessions, total about 300 rounds. The 4" comes with the Hogue grips which make a HUGE difference in recoil! Last range session, i fired 100 factory magnum rounds while my arm went numb from tips to shoulder, and my grin just kept gettin' bigger! very accurate and fun to shoot...
  5. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

The one I bought is a 4" as well. It is a pre-owned revolver, so it only comes with the wood grips. Factory grips are usually too small for my hands, so I will probably put slip on Hogue grips over the wood to fill up my hands. If they reduce felt recoil, that will be even better.
  6. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Recommend the rubber grips, too! My GP100 had rubber grips w/ a pretty piece of wood inlay. Nice looking, but I have large hands & my mid finger knuckle was placed against the trigger guard. The Hogue grips were installed right quick!
    Sounds like a fun project gun for reloading! Enjoy :)