Bought my 2nd 686 today.....

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I love the 4" 686 I have now, but my 6" .357 magnum revolver was a Ruger GP-100. Even with a spring kit and some trigger work, the action on the GP just doesn't come close to the "out of the box" action on the S&W 686. I was using this GP for Bullseye compition shooting, and it has an inherent problem with cylinder drag that caused me more than a few matches durring the timed and rapid fire stages.
    Well today I fixed the problem, I traded in the GP-100 for a new 6" 686 with the 6 shot cylinder. Now I'll have a pair of 686's, one in 4", and the other in 6".......
    Now I need to scrounge up enough money to get a 6" 617, and my Bullseye Match revolver arsenal will be complete.......
  2. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I like the 686 - my first handgun was a 6" 686. I eventually addded a 2.5" and a 4" to the collection. Today I have only a 6" 686 , not the original one. It is an amazingly accurate revolver. I once even contemplated the 8 3/8" version!
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

If they still offered it, I'd probably get one....... ;)

To me, the 4" model is the perfect combat revolver, I use it on the steel plates and poppers, and it also serves as my home defense weapon. The 6" will serve as my target compition weapon at the Bullseye Matches, and Dot Shooting compitions. It's like the perfect set of wheel guns....... :D
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Tony Mig:

Had the same experience with a Ruger GP and a new S&W in 357. The newer Smiths from the last few years are much better than the ones I bought (44Mag, & 41 Mag) in the 1980's and even those are better guns than the Ruger. It is the lack of finesse in the Ruger that kills it for me.

I always put a spring kit in my Smiths making the trigger near perfection. Reguardless of a spring kit in the Ruger it took a real trigger job on the sear and hammer with stones to even get close to the box stock Smiths.

Good luck with your new Smith.

LDBennett
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I still miss my 686.
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I might be closer to also getting that 6" 617 too. I applied for two pistol permits, and I put one of my guitars up on E-Bay, if this guitar meets reserve, I'll have enough money to not only get the S&W 617 I want, I'll have enough left over to get a cap & Ball revolver, and buy the wife something extra special for Christmas..... ;)

Once I have both this new 6" 686, and the 6" 617, I'll be doing a lot of Bullseye practicing at the range. It's my goal to be the first member of this club to win a seasonal Bullseye match with all wheel guns...... :D
  7. billr

billr New Member

Hi Tony
    Where do you live that you have to get a gun permit before you can buy a hand gun, we have a day of purchace for as many as you need.
    Thanks
    Bill
  8. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Like it says under my name Bill, I reside in the state the NRA refers to as "Gun Owner's Hell" .....

Or as I like to call it The Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey ....

One must first apply for and recieve a Firearms Purchaser's Card. That allows you to buy rifles...(and this includes BB rifles)....and ammunition. You then must apply for a handgun purchaser's permit for each and every handgun you wish to purchase. These permits can take anywhere's from a week to 3 months to get back from the issuing authority. I'm much luckier than most in this state as I'm well aquainted with the detective that handles the paper work in the municipality I live. My permits usually only take a week at the most. Then when you actually make the purchase, the gun dealer still has to run the NICS background check on you before you can leave with your new gun......

If you ever get the chance to live in New Jersey......pass on it..... :rolleyes: