Bought my first gun safe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GunNut89, Feb 10, 2012.

1. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

I'm so excited to bring it into the basement tonight. i bought Liberty "Timber Ridge". Same safe as the Libery Colonial but Gander Mountains version. holds 25 guns and 45 mins of fire protection. i used my tax return to buy it. Dark Green in color. It was on sale for $899. i couldnt pass it up. 2 hours of waiting for my number to be called in the firearms dept was worth it. i was getting pretty nervous however because it was 8 o'clock by the time we left the store. we had an hour ride home and the new season of Swamp People started last night at 9 on history. i couldnt miss it! :D
  2. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

The only problem I see with your purchase is that someday you will need a bigger one. I remember getting my first one thinking man I will never fill this and now I am considering a third safe. Liberty safes are pretty nice. I saw a presedental i think it was at an auction that was a 35 gun and huge. it went for $1,350 at the auction, don't know what it was new. They are great peace of mind and you will like having one.
  3. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Congrats Gunny

Nothing like the peace of mind they provide. Wherever you put it be sure to bilt it to the floor. Just more peace of mind of course.:D

UF
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

And I thought everyone read my post last week........oh well...
  5. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Sounds really heavy! How you move that thing around?
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Hold on.

Do you really want it in the basement? In the event of a fire where does all the hot burning embers go? That's right the basement. Now during the fire where do you think all the water goes when they are trying to put out said fire? That's right the basement. Just pointing that out hope you didn't get it down there already.
  7. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Got a liberty Franklin 35 gun when we built our house. Use it mainly for pictures, titles to cars and some other items that can't be replaced. I love it!
  8. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

You sir, have quality taste in television...
  9. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

At that point the safe is already in the basement with the embers... :eek:
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

That's what I was thinking. :rolleyes:

Ground floor, in a corner would seem to be best.

Congrats on the safe Nut. :)
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Good luck how about a picture
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a good point. I understand that if the house is on fire that if it is on the first floor there is a chance that it would fall through in case of a fire. However, if it is in the basement, for sure it will get water into it. It's kind of a damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

I bought a 45 gun Big Horn safe as a scratch and dent (paid $800.00). It was too big to put in my house, so it is in the garage sitting in a blind spot where it can't be seen unless you physically walk into the garage. I definetely bolted it down. Reason being, the guy that delivered it (he has delivered them for about 20 years in the valley here and made it look easy) said that there was a rash of save robberies in the Treasure Valley in past years. What the thieves would do is back up to the house in broad day light and mark off the outer wall with chalk where the safe was sitting (obviously someone knew where the save was sitting), and literally chain saw a hole into the wall removing the entire wall. Then they would literally winch the safe into the truck and drive off. By the time anyone really noticed, they were long gone. The neighbors just figured they were contractors doing work to someone's place. So, he highly recommended bolting the safe down. He said there were several attempts on safe's that were bolted down, but they did not get them. We used the largest bolts possible on my safe. Also, for grins, I placed about 400 lbs of weight into the safe before bolting it down and it slid across the floor. Two guys can move it pretty easy.

Congrats on the new safe.
  13. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

This thread is worthless without pictures....:D
  14. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

thanks guys! trust me, if i had the space, i would've gotten a bigger one. heres my dilemma. im 22 and still live at home. :rolleyes: space for safe in the 'rents house is limited. my old man has his in the basement as well. i just got in from wrestlin' that brute into the house. thank god we have a walk-out basement. but i got it set in place so me and Pops will get it anchored in the morning. im happy with my purchase but do wish i had the space for a bigger one. a 25 gun safe for me is going to be maxed out already. but its still better than all my rifles and shotguns sitting in my closet or under my bed. not to mention my dads safe is already packed mostly with guns of my own. i will be sure to get pics up after i load it up with hardware. no body wants to see pictures of an empty gun safe! :D
  15. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

got it all anchored and secured. moved all my guns into it, well, almost all of them. i left my old sears 12 gauge in my room for shootin' red squirrels. its such a good feeling knowing all of my guns are safe and secure. heres what it looks like

Attached Files: