Bought my first hand gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by scubadiver12165, Oct 11, 2012.

1. scubadiver12165

scubadiver12165 New Member

My father had a Walther PPK .22, the James Bond gun that he got from a friend of his at Los Alamos back in 1967 prior to going to Vietnam. Last year, my father passed his PPK to me. During all the years my father had the PPK, he said that he must have fired it at a target no more than a dozen time. The only cleaning he ever did was to wipe it down. The rest of the time, the gun was kept in an old electric shaver container. The gun looked great when I got it and when I cleaned it for the first time, there were barely any smudge on it.

Ever since I got the PPK, I wanted to get a more serious hand gun, I wanted something that I can have fun with at the range and able to use for self defense and home protection as well. I thought of getting an HK, but my brother suggested that I should look at the new Walther PPQ. As I read the review on it and saw all the positive response people had on it, it made me interested in it even more. As I thought about it, I also like the idea of having the Walther lineage, the old from the 60s and the new from the new century.

The PPQ get sold out just about as soon as they arrive in this area. I was fortunate enough that a favorite LGS in my area hand one left on the Saturday morning when I stopped by. I bought it and a few days later, I took it to the range after cleaning and put over 100 rounds through on the PPQ 9 mm and another 100 rounds through the PPK 22. I was so giddy at how good both guns performed. To say that I am a happy gun owner is a mild statement.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new addition. Bringing home a new firearm always makes me giddy.

Pics would be nice.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Glad you are happy with your guns! Nothing beats being comfortable at the range, or when carring concealed! You gots to post some pics of your range time! We love pictures!
  4. lead

lead Active Member

Congrats to you. I'm a Walther fan and you picked a good gun to have.
    Those old PPK's in .22 have gone in value alot since your dad's time.
    I envy you, my dad's gun was a dep't gun that had to be turned in when he retired so I don't have any reminder of him like that, shoot it and enjoy it.
  5. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

I am like a kid on Christmas morning when I get a new gun. Congrats on the new addition!
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ditto here and I agree with Howlnmad about bringing a new gun home.
  7. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Pictars! or it didn't happen! ;)
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Glad u had a good time
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

When i get a new gun I hold it in my lap and stroke it like a dog. It is well petted before and after it's first trip to the range or field.