Bought Reminton 1911R1 Couple Questions

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by OleEd, Oct 14, 2010.

1. OleEd

OleEd New Member

Finally found one in a shop here in MO. Had to go to 417 Guns in Springfield, MO to get it but worth the hunt.

Wore a 1911 in Nam with the Marines as a SSG -- Glad to say I only needed to use the AR Mattell toy gun I also carried. Switched to Army and made officer rank carrying again the 1911 - t'was a love hate relationship. But as an old soldier had the urge for the 45 again. Settled on on R1 after researching 45s in my price range. Believe I got more value for the money with this weapon than the others.

Questions:

1. Shot about 200 rds and only 2 jams from my reloads. Still learning taper crimps as I'm really a wheel gun man. Mags seem/look wimpy -- work but can one suggest another decent mag to use?

2. Shoot low and left. Can fix the "left" but the elivation is about 3" lowfrom the X ring. Would increasing the powder a gram or 2 compensate? Or, is there a rear sight I can install WITHOUT cutting on the metal?

3. Trigger is abit mushier than my 38s and 357s. Think this will be the 1st upgrade. Any suggestions for an ugraded trigger. R1 has a customized barrel so won't change that. Any other mods you "45 Salts" can suggest?

4. Groups at 15 yds and about 3-4" and that is more me than the gun. HAnd loads are either Bullseye or W231 and now Missouri 230g RN bullets. Got a quick receipt for this setup? Or, a suggested different powder that would give a hand in better grouping. I want to try this out at a practical shooting rg/club for newbies. Since I have 500 MO Bullets, I'll stay with them less you hace cause for a different bullet.

As I said I am happy with my buy. 45 feels real good and sighting in is as natural as my SW 586 .357.

I do thank you in advance for any suggestions on this new baby of mine. I'm 68 yrs, 24 yrs of service (10 USMC and 14 Army) an still fell like a 20 yr old Marine....
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Welcome to TFF.

1. Use Wilson Combat mags

2. www.brownells.com has a great selection of sights.

3. You will get used to the single action trigger unless there is something wrong. I don't understand mushy.

4. I only reload 200 gr LSWC so no help there.

I suggest about 250 more rounds for break in and all should be well. :)
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum Sir. Thank you for your service.
    #1 on the Wilson Combat mags. Amazing difference from the stock mags. Keep shooting your new baby and it will grow on you. The more rounds you put through her the better it will get. Then there is a world of improvements that you can do if you should so desire. Beware! Once you get bit by the 1911 bug there is no cure except to get more 1911's!
    I am positive that you will get that same diagnosis from other 1911 addicts!
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I have been told Wilson Combat makes the best ones. I use regular stainless Kimber 8-rounders in my Springfield and they seem to work just fine. Really, the biggest point I want to make is that you want something with a supported follower in it. I preferred the stainless magazines because it resists corrosion and rust better than a normal blued magazine.

If your gun doesn't have a checkered front strap/back strap, I would go for some Pachmayr grips. I want to get them for my Springfield since my gun didn't come with the checkering.

Lots of 1911 enthusiasts I know put the skeletonized trigger/hammer with the bigger beavertail grip safety on. That lets you get a higher, better grip on the gun and it can help improve your accuracy. Sort of the same idea with the better grips. Helps you get a better hold on the gun.

Other than that, a match barrel can help accuracy. I am thinking about getting one for my Loaded Springfield. I don't know too much about them though. And I am afraid to buy one because I hear some of them have to be custom fitted to your gun.

A little off topic, but if anyone has some good suggestions for a good drop-in match-grade barrel, please suggest it.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/PDW_mods.htm
    This is a really good site I found explaining some of the modifications you can do on the 1911 and what they do.

------------
    Idk... the 1911 I have is the Springfield Loaded model. It's supposed to be a Mil-Spec, with a bunch of modifications done on it that one used to have to go get custom built by a gunsmith for their gun. Such as the skeletonized trigger & hammer (I believe the trigger I have is also adjustable), the Novak sights, front & rear cocking serrations, beavertail grip safety, lowered & flared ejection port, ambidextrous thumb safety, beveled magazine well, titanium firing pin, loaded chamber indicator. Overall, it is a really good gun. The only thing I wish they would have included is a match-grade barrel. Then again, for a little more money, one could upgrade to the TRP model, which I believe is available with a match barrel w/ bushing, or a bull barrel. Although that one seems more like a tactical model rather than the A1 style like what I have.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  5. Shooter45

6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  7. 1911 man

1911 man New Member

i use mckormick 8 rounders and never have any jams, but wilsons are also good.also you might want to get a tridecki trigger
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

9. OleEd

OleEd New Member

Thanks all for your comments.

As for the trigger feel, I have tried other, mostly customized, 45s the past 6 mths and pull was lighter, shorter and crisp then mine. I go slow on things like this and will take the suggestion of putting more rds thru the pistol.

Went out to fire my snubbie SW 38 Airweight 442 and a friend's SW model 36-I (older 38 Chief's Special) with a 3" barrel. Sweet little gun and very easy to shoot and very accurate at 7 yds. Decided to take the 45 for a few shots - starting to become my favorite. Wonder why I disliked the service 45s during my career....

Oh well, Thank you alll again
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    OleEd, I have been in love with the .45 for a long time. Mine goes with me just about everywhere. The pistol you have should serve you well, but I would like to suggest that you get a good gun smith to do a trigger job on it. I promise that you will love the results! The more you shoot it the better it will work, and the better you, and it, will work together.
  11. Shooter45

Remington states in their ad the trigger pull is between 3.5 to 5 pounds. The 1911 trigger should break like a glass rod with a small amount of take up and no creep. A good gunsmith should be able to get a consistent trigger pull weigh and remove all creep. Makes for tighter groups. :)
  12. hansom

hansom Former Guest

I agree , a gun that beautiful deserves a good trigger Job at the Smith
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Welcome to TFF, Ed. Thank you four service.

I have had numerous 1911's since my service time was up. Carried them in 'Nam too.
    The military issue I wasn't crazy about because it felt like it had been rebuilt to many times with mix n' match parts without regard for proper fit and accuracy. As long as it functioned and went bang it was ok for the armorer.

Just my opinion. FWIW.

My prized possession now is a Randall 1911. A flawless weapon in my opinion as long as i use a graphite based grease on the slides to prevent galling.
  14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i knew it. dang it i knew it. i knew if i looked at this thread again i'd be wanting a 1911. i shoulda just skipped by.
  15. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

What kind of a sight picture are you using? Center or 6 o'clock?

Also, I know it's counter-intuitive, but you might try reducing your load by a little and see if that brings the POI up some.