Bowhunting turkeys...

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

ShootingInVT
    (2/4/03 5:25:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Bowhunting turkeys...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've seen a couple longbeards on my way to work this winter in a small plot of land where I am positive that a bow is the only weapon that is allowed. I am looking for some tips on bowhunting the elusive turkey...

I realize this is called TFF for a reason and I apologize to those of you that have been around for a while if bowhunting is not really discussed here. Afterall this is just my second post. Some real great conversation here though...thank you all!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/4/03 6:21:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Bowhunting turkeys...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bowhunting is a welcome topic

Get practiced up with your bow, buy a call and some camo and hit the woods.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/4/03 9:06:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Bowhunting turkeys...
    Considering my expertise with a bow, I'd be better armed with a pocket full of rocks!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

ShootingInVT
    (2/5/03 12:16:30 am)
    I have been out turkey hunting with a shotgun before. I am good with a box call and fair with a slate. I have also learned to be very good with a mouth call which I think would be important when both hands are needed for a bow. My biggest issue is how to conceal myself though for the moment of drawing my bow back and the seconds or if necessary one or two minutes afterwards. Any advice in that area?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/5/03 1:12:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I think that is the most critical time when turkey hunting. A bow with high letoff helps you to hold it longer. A camo ground blind would also help to hide it.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 1:41:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    You would be well served to get a couple of turkey decoys. Get a hen and a jake.

I would take it from your post that you are already a bow hunter, so the same equipment you use for deer hunting would be appropriate for turkey hunting, with the addition of your turkey calls. The only exception would be the hunter orange stuff you use for deer hunting. Don't wear it in the turkey seson because turkeys are not color blind
    and will spot you in an instant.

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/5/03 10:02:11 am)
    Welcome to TFF ShootingIn VT!

Check out the archives at Realtree Outdoors. Turkey Decoys @ Realtree Outdoors.

Other articles can be found at Realtree Outdoors Pro Tips for more articles.

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 2/5/03 10:05:10 am