The Firearms Forum banner

Bowie knife- what do you have that you can't do without?

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
i've come to the realization that I do not own a good quality Bowie knife. I did look at a couple local outdoor stores without finding anything that seemed was of good quality and durable and large enough to make it a multi use tool.

So, what do you have that's your favorite and sill available commercially? I might be interested in a kit that I could purchase and assemble myself.

Thanks
ISB

#2 ·
My favorite Bowie, and I own several, is the Bear Paw by Ridged. You can still find them on sites like EBAY, though they are no longer produced.
Knife Blade Bowie knife Tool

#7 ·
I have a backpack that I call my "get home" bag. In it are a Gerber "Big Rock" knife, and a saw.
Knife Hunting knife Blade Throwing knife Dagger
Knife Tool Cutting tool Blade Utility knife

Attachments

#8 ·
Lots of lookers available. Some priced as if they use quality steel when they do not. I was dissapointed when I followed up on most of the knives from big names in the <$150 range learning they use low-grade steel or alloys.

I was particularly annoyed by most of the the big name manufacturers when reviewing what the blades are made from. Some do not list the type of steel rather, only list the Rockwell hardness thus leaving other qualities to be desired. A couple makers done even list that, rather they just list the blade as Solingen steel with no reference to hardness or alloy. o_O

Also annoyed by some makers that portray American companies with manufacturing in Tiwan or Japan. :mad::mad:

#17 ·
#14 ·
I had completely forgotten all about the 2 Glock knives that I have in my hunting locker. I've used and abused these knives for many years when I was an active Hunter. I also found a really cheap Bowie knife in there that my mother bought me about 40-years ago she bought at some sort of in-home party. It's got a fake stag handle and I don't have any clue what kind of steel the blade was made from but I know that it stays razor sharp. I don't think I'd depend on it as a camp or survival knife though.

#15 ·
#16 ·
I don't carry a knife other than a small pocket knife daily. I don't have much use for one in a desk job. But outside in the field I prefer one I picked up at a mountain man rendezvous at Holcomb Ranch, near Big Bear Lake, PRC. It's got a 5 1/2" blade and a checkered wood handle attached with 5 brass rivets. The blade is straight, with the tip double-sided for an inch or two, and engraved, "J. Russell & Co. Green River Works." That would be exciting, except that under the diamond emblem on the blade, it goes on to say, "Made in U.S.A." and "Stainless." Original Green River knives were made of carbon steel, of course, and nobody thought it important to add the Made in U.S.A. disclaimer. I have no idea what I've got here, but it's a rugged, comfortable knife I've carried around for 25 years or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.