The Firearms Forum banner

Bowstring question

701 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
I realize this is a gun forum, but maybe somebody knows.

How, or maybe a better question is WHERE do you measure a bow for a string?

See the recurved bow.

Do you measure it UNSTRUNG, a straight drop, from the nock to the nock, at the front of the bow - A?

Do you measure it UNSTRUNG, along the back of the bow, from the nock to the nock - B?

Do you measure it STRUNG, at tension, from nock to nock (though, without a string, I don't see how you could measure it that way) - C?

Or do you measure it another way I have not considered.
Longbow Bow Bow and arrow Line Archery

I have - well, I had, since I gave them to my grandgirls - a couple of them cheapy kids' fiberglass recurves. The strings need replaced on both of them. If you use measurement C, all I need to do is measure the current (worn-out) strings, which I believe are 44 inches, and buy new 44 inch strings. But if you use measurement A, 44-inch strings will be too short, and using measurement B, 44-inch strings will be WAAAAAY too short.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Apparently, either no one knows, or no one ever looks at this forum.

The bow in question is marked, on the lower limb, as 64".

The string I bought, although the package says 64", is 62 inches long. Possibly it stretches, after being under tension? EDIT: I JUST FOUND A WEBSITE, AND IT SAYS TO MEASURE THE STRINGS UNDER "HAND TENSION", SO POSSIBLY THIS 62"-LONG STRING, UNDER TENSION, IS ACTUALLY 64".

Measurement A is 60 1/2 inches, so that ain't it.

I did not measure B with a tape, but when stringing the bow I noticed that B was six inches shorter than the string, and since the string is 62, that should make B 68, so that ain't it. EDIT: B WAS SIX INCHES LONGER THAN THE STRING. That makes a difference. Also, while the first question was about the cheapy kids' bows, they are in Atlanta with the grandgirls. The string I bought yesterday was for an old Ben Pearson target bow, and was marked on the lower limb as to length.

So, even though I now have a string, I still don't know how to measure it.

EDIT: ACCORDING TO THE SITE I FOUND, YOU DO MEASUREMENT B, AND SUBTRACT 4 INCHES, SO GRANDPA PETE SEEMS TO HAVE THE RIGHT ANSWER.

#3 ·
I'm not a bow hunter (couldn't hit the ground with an arrow) but I would think the string should be slightly shorter than the full length of the bow in its relaxed position.

#5 · (Edited)
From the old school rule of thumb, using figure B in your diagram, strings for longbows and recurves are 3 inches shorter than the bow length. This is OLD school though, like 40 years? I have heard some shooters going as much as 4 inches shorter on a recurve, but 3 should definitely get you there. And, please be sure to use a stringer when you string the bow, too many experts have twisted limbs trying the old hook it around your ankle method.

http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/stringlength.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.