Boy Scouts taking on new role it seems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Jan 23, 2010.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

2. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

I dont think thats quite accurate cyclone.. Here a while back the BSA was planning on using Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia for their National Jamboree (Like they have done in the past..) and the Military said "Nope, go pack sand.. aint happenin.. youre a religeous organization" So I dont see DHS "training" BSA or the girl scouts similar to the way the Japanese government did in WWII.

Also.. a few of the pictures that are shown show kids wearing "Police Explorers" uniforms.. thats completely different than Scouting.........
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I was a Police Explorer for about 2 years in High School (1996-1997). It is indeed a branch of the BSA. We trained to clear rooms using SWAT tactics, spidering off roofs, for some odd reason we had a bomb squad simulation for a regional competition and did a lot of routine traffic stop training. I went down to the academy for a week's worth of familiarization with that system and an overview of actual academy training. It was fun stuff and helped me realize that I didn't actually want to be a police officer. We rode with the officers on patrol and occasionally went on raids where we stayed in the truck while real officers busted dope houses. We directed traffic for special events as well...

One local smart arse reporter got a picture of us doing SWAT training and plastered it on the front of the paper, saying something about Hitler's youth corps. When we saw him at an event one time we actually saluted him. He turned rather red... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't doubt at all if DHS is training Explorer groups now to some extent. After all, DHS has effectively become a part of local LE departments if and when the feds decide to take over.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  4. freeagent1

freeagent1 New Member

Think what you want it starts with the children.
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

My apologies... I wasnt aware that they were. Im drawing from 15 (almost 16) years of experience with the BSA (been in through cubs, earned my Eagle at 15 1/2 years old + 3 palms.. and have been some sort of scoutmaster since I was 18).. and had never heard of police explorers being part of BSA. Around here if there is a explorer unit, its sponsored by the LE agency.

my bad:(
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

No problem. I'm not sure all Explorer groups readily advertise their involvement with BSA. It's true that police departments sponsor the groups but it is through BSA and BSA insures the students in the event of an accident. BSA also offers Fire Explorer Programs and a few others. It's ironic that this came up because I was rummaging through some old junk from my parents' house a while back and found my BSA card from the Explorers Program. Explorers is the only involvement I've had with BSA. :)
  7. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know, Bravo. I kinda agree with you.

When I was in Boy Scouts, we went camping, as a troop, every month, and 4 times a year there was a Camporee. All the troops in the district were at the Camporee. I saw scouts from all over the district, but never saw any Explorers. They didn't do that. Medical Explorers played at the hospital. Police Explorers played at the Junior Deputy building. We played in the woods.

Explores may be under the umbrella of The Boy Scouts of America, but they ain't Boy Scouts.

>but never saw any Explorers< Rethinking, I did see some Medical Explorers at one camporee. They were running a First Aid Tent. But, even then, they weren't out playing in the woods. They were playing doctor.:p
  9. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Alpo, we were learning a different kind of survival. And 'camping out' involved a squad car versus a tent... :D

When you were getting a merit badge for shooting an air rifle we were training with Glock 19s and S&W .38s... :D
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Glocks hadn't been invented yet. And Rifle and Shotgun Merit badge wasn't no dang air rifle.
  11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Only giving you a hard time Alpo... We used Glock 19s with live ammo as well as with a laser inserted to fire when the striker dropped onto the laser module to be detected on a full-motion video simulator. This was 1996. We trained in a full-motion simulation environment where bad guys would stop for you and then you had to choose to shoot or not shoot. The simulator was at the local Fraternal Order of Police. There were two of these in the state; one in my town and one at the SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) academy in 1996.

Since full motion video was slow to update, I had a shoot situation one time where I shot 33 times into the BG. The LEO who was training us was furious at me. He said, "could you justify to a judge why you fired 33 times?" I responded, "yes, he was still standing... " That didn't go over well... :p
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. I just forgot to put the :p:p in there, on my response.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Your last line sounds like that Cirillo shoot out I read about once. His and parter and he shot Bad Guy #1, who fell onto BG #2, knocking him to the floor and laying on top of him. BG1 was dead, but BG2 kept reaching for the gun laying on the floor, and evertime he reached the Po-lice shot again. Into BG1, since he was on top, and apparently they were having penetration problems.

The de-briefing afterwards, by the shooting review board, went something like:

You shot 6 times with your issue 38 revolver? Yessir. And 8 times with your backup 45 automatic? Yessir. And 8 times with your Remington 870 12 gauge with slugs? Yessir.

And you shot 6 times with your issue 38 revolver? Yessir. And 6 times with your backup 38 revolver? Yessir. And 5 times with your Ithaca 37 12 gauge with slugs? Yessir.

That's a combined total of 39 shots. Why did you shoot him so many times? He kept reaching for the gun.