Boyds thumbhole stock refinish!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by da357mag, Dec 31, 2010.

1. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Basically what it is, is a bracket with an arbor that one end of the bolt is centered on, and a screw that on a centerfire bolt with the firing pin hole in the center would center on. On a rimfire all that has to be done is use a spent shell, and you have a hole to center the bolt on!:D. This is the set-up,[​IMG],
    As you can see it is a simple fixture, this one was made by B-square. As I mentioned Wheeler used to make one that I saw when I was living in AZ. The gunsmith, was simi retired but just couldn't keep his hands off it completely!
    I'm going to get some 280 and 320 grit wet or dry sandpaper, it will help with the polishing of the bolt body, I will photograph each step as I go along!:D The bracket is a little warped but it is straight along the length, and that is what matters, couldn't make a straight line otherwise!:eek: Doug
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. da357mag

da357mag New Member

it's just that Minwax does not work well with many woods.

I do agree, minwax can be a little picky, that was the reason behind the mineral spirits. I'm not a chemist but I found a long time ago that adding them to the stain helps it work better. The stock above is birch laminate, and it seems to look alright!:D DA
  3. da357mag

da357mag New Member

I haven't seen a properly jeweled bolt that didn't look good!:eek: I've never heard of your kind of rifle, who makes it? DA
  4. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

Thanks, Doug, looking forward to seeing your progress. Looking at your rifles, it's obvious that you are a stickler for details. I agree, a jeweled bolt really sets off a rifle.
  5. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Since this is my first attempt at this, I might just get a 7/16" piece of steel pipe and do a practice run to see how it comes out!:eek: That way I can see if there are any places in the procedure that might catch me up, I would rather ruin a $1.00 piece of pipe then the bolt body for the rifle!:eek::D Doug
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011