1. confederatemule

confederatemule New Member

Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, corner of Texas
    Does a recipe book on black powder cartridges exist? If so, where might I get one?

I would like to equip myself to reload black powder cartridges. I have an I.J., top break, .32 S&W and a H&R, top break, .38 S&W. Both guns are designed for black powder cartridges, so, that is what I want to use in them.

I have never reloaded anything and have nothing to do it with. I am going to equip myself to be able to reload, and would like to be able to reload black powder as well as smokeless powder.
    I've been doing a lot of reading/looking on web sites, forums, and you tube. Like a lot of other folks I want the best without spending a bunch of money. That points me towards Lee Precision.

I'm sorry, I'm just rambling on. But any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Mule
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Reloading black powder cartridges is simple.

Take the bullet that you want to use. Lay the cartridge case down on its side. Lay the bullet next to it, at the depth you wish to seat it. Notice where the base of the bullet is in relation to the case. Make a mark on the case about 1/16 inch higher than the base. Pour powder into the case up to the line. That is your load. When you seat the bullet it will compress the powder.

BLACK POWDER MUST BE COMPRESSED. If you don't have compression - if you have an air-space between the powder and the bullet - you are asking for an explosion.

Attached Files:

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If that load has too much recoil, you can reduce the powder charge, but you must put something in the case to take up the space. The US Army used cardboard, when they reduced the powder charge and bullet weight in the 45/70/500 RIFLE cartridge to 45/50/405 for a CARBINE cartridge (rifle round had too much recoil in the lighter-weight carbine). Many people use cornmeal or grits. But whatever you use to take up space, it must fill the case to the red line, so that when you seat your bullet it will compress the load.